Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade .54

Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a .58 cal. Renegade with a 1 in 48" twist and it loves a PRB. I'm having a bit of a problem trying to find a good conical for her.

Now I also have a Hawken Carbine in .54 cal. with a 1 in 24" twist and it loves a Barnes Expander sabot. It is deadly!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Spike

Hi all

Well the Renegade finally showed up and the overall condition looks very good. It definitely has been used but not abused so I am very pleased. I noticed right away there were no markings on the barrel stating the model or any warnings. Did some research and discovered it has a Douglas barrel with a serial number of 35###. Anyone have an idea of what I've bought as far as age? I'm assuming it will have a 1-48 twist rate?

Thank you
Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega218er
Hi all

Well the Renegade finally showed up and the overall condition looks very good. It definitely has been used but not abused so I am very pleased. I noticed right away there were no markings on the barrel stating the model or any warnings. Did some research and discovered it has a Douglas barrel with a serial number of 35###. Anyone have an idea of what I've bought as far as age? I'm assuming it will have a 1-48 twist rate?

Thank you
I have a .54 Renegade with no model or warning on it. All mine says is Thomson Center Arms w/address and .54 cal. Serial 16xxx. Not sure what year it is, the previous owner purchased it new but couldn't remember. He said he hadn't shot it on 15-20yrs when I bought it. ?

Be curious how you knew it was a Douglas. Mine is a 1:48 to my knowledge...though I've never measured it.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Spike

From the research I've done if the barrel has a "M" stamped on the underside of the barrel it was made by Douglas. Now of course the info I read could be wrong too?

Edit. Sounds like it could be a W. It's hard for this D- English student to tell. The rear sight is also the old style straight blade type I saw in a thread on this forum.

Last edited by Omega218er; 02-21-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I was once told many of the early T/C barrels, before they made them themselves, were Sharon barrels. I had a friend that owned one of the early T/C rifles. He was sure he had a Sharon barrel and it was a 1-66 twist. It sure was a round ball shooter. As for determination of the age, I would think T/C could tell you by the serial number but then you never know.

The early CVA had Douglas barrels on some of their Mountain Rifles. Those that owned them held onto them. They were great shooters.

Sounds like you have a great rifle there.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Makes you wonder why Douglas would mark their barrel with a W.