Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ordered a new breech plug for my Traditions Pursuit to shoot loose powder

Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Spike

Default Ordered a new breech plug for my Traditions Pursuit to shoot loose powder

Ordered a new breech plug for my Traditions Pursuit UL so I can shoot BH 209, when I received the new BP (part #A1443) it appears to be the exact same plug my rifle came with?

I guess my mistake was not checking what I already had vs what plug was recommended for shooting loose powder out of my ML.

I know it doesn't hurt to have 2 plugs.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't go running away now. There is a regular poster here that modifies breechplugs for Blackhorn..... for some dinero.
So check this thread this coming week for an update.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Spike

Unlike CVA, the Traditions breech plugs do not require modification to shoot BH209.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

There ya' go neumonic! You are good-to go, with a spare on-hand.

Bring along hot primers to the range. CCI-mags or Federal 209As for needed hotter ignition with Blackhorn. Check the breechplug channel hole and flashhole occasionally for fouling obstructions.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 AM
Spike

Thanks guy's!

I wasn't able to locally locate either of the primers you mentioned Triple Se7en, I did grab a box of Winchester 209 shotgun primers this past Saturday and was planning on trying everything out this coming weekend. They also had Remington STS shotgun primers, my buddy bought those so we could try both, he has a brand new CVA Optima V2.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Neumonic

I just received a GMail from a hunting associate... his email intended for you-here.

(quote) BP will shoot BH209 fine without any mods. It runs a 1/8" flash channel and works great with BH209 as is. He (you) can add one of these to seal up blow by and save the inside of his frame from the primer smashing into it during ignition. They did not use a steel bushing so that area gets abused if left with loose head space.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=vq7vxb

I cannot name my email source. He told me that if I keep my big mouth shut, he will award me a new premium membership into his club.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 02-02-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Neumonic
I just received a GMail from a hunting associate... his email intended for you-here.
(quote) BP will shoot BH209 fine without any mods. It runs a 1/8" flash channel and works great with BH209 as is. He (you) can add one of these to seal up blow by and save the inside of his frame from the primer smashing into it during ignition. They did not use a steel bushing so that area gets abused if left with loose head space.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=vq7vxb

I cannot name my email source. He told me that if I keep my big mouth shut, he will award me a new premium membership into his club.
Triple Se7en,
Thanks again for all your help! I would like to ask, is that o-ring intended to be used as a replacement for the existing o-ring on my BP or utilized somewhere else? I have read where someone was putting on o-ring down in the area the primer is put into.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Spike

The O-RING that he mention will go in the primer pocket, For me they last about 30 shot, then I switch it out.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Spike

Thanks Dave, I will order them up and give it a try!