Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 100yd range this afternoon.....

Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Are you paying attention to the conversation??? We are talking about knowing what is private property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know about trespass laws in Va. I was a cop for 15 years here!!!!!

I don't have time to go into all the volumes of levels of the trespass laws on the books here now. Please lets get back to the subject of knowing or not knowing what is private LAND!!!!! JEEEEEZZZZ
This has gotten interesting, and despite the fact that rafsob may need to switch to decaff , I’m going to continue this partial hijack of the thread since I think it’s pretty important.

The issue is whether the hunter has the responsibility to know if he or she is hunting on private property, even if it is not posted. And for Virginia, I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Hunting on private land without permission, is trespass.

In most cases, to be guilty of trespass, there is a requirement of notice, meaning you cannot be found guilty unless you were first told to get off or not get on the land in question. Posting the boundaries takes care of this. But hunting may be somewhat unique in that even without notice, you can still be guilty of trespass.

Two laws in VA talk about the difference between hunting on non-posted and posted private land.

§ 18.2-132. Trespass by hunters and fishers.

Any person who goes on the lands, waters, ponds, boats or blinds of another to hunt, fish or trap without the consent of the landowner or his agent shall be deemed guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-134. Trespass on posted property.

Any person who goes on the lands, waters, ponds, boats or blinds of another, which have been posted in accordance with the provisions of § 18.2-134.1, to hunt, fish or trap except with the written consent of or in the presence of the owner or his agent shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

With the first law, notice is not required. Nor does the person have to know that the land is private property. With the second law, the penalty is worse because the hunter was put on notice to stay off.

I have hunted on both WMAs and National forests. In both cases, the public land boundaries are often fairly well marked. Some remote areas are not but that’s my problem, not the private landowner.

Sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread, BarnesAddict, but as I said, this could be important stuff. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
...Deleted by CalHunter... I'll do my best to follow the rules or have an idea were I'm aloud and not.
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-28-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8, 12--Warning.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't leave your buttons exposed.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

And another great pearl of wisdom from none other then Muley Hunter. I bet you got beat up a lot in school for sticking your nose in other folks business?!?! I guess I should have known you would stick your nose under this tent!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

And another great pearl of wisdom from none other then Muley Hunter. I bet you got beat up a lot in school for sticking your nose in other folks business?!?! I guess I should have known you would stick your nose under this tent!!!
Cripes! I was being friendly, but that's pretty hard with a cop attitude.

I wasn't butting in. I started the conversation about private property, and it was directed at you. I thought cops were suppose to keep track of the facts?

No, you're wrong again. I didn't get beat up. I did the beating.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Cripes! I was being friendly, but that's pretty hard with a cop attitude.

I wasn't butting in. I started the conversation about private property, and it was directed at you. I thought cops were suppose to keep track of the facts?

No, you're wrong again. I didn't get beat up. I did the beating.
If so, my bad friend!!!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhh cmon. That was too easy. I was ready for a good fight.

Ok...
Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

It's your responsibility to know where you are and the property boundaries. stupidity and lack of respect for others land is no excuse no matter what your occupation is or was.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-28-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8, 12--Warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.