Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Muzzleloader questions !

Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
If you can't find it online or figure it out, let me know and I'll take some pictures and post on here what you need to know...

The Knight Disc is one of the best rifles out there, I have several loads worked up for mine but I'm currently using 80grs FFF Goex behind a .429 Hornady 300gr XTP inside a Harvester plain green sabot...
That's a nice 'tall' bullet combo there. Thinking about ordering some from midway. I see Thompson has discontinued their green 44-cal sabots. That's too bad. My hunting buddy complained that the Hornady package has a green sabot that does not allow the XTP bullet to seat well. I think it's made by MMP..... not sure. Anyways, when he opened the package and seen the poor fit, I had to give him some of my Harvester green sabots. Good thing for him, I bring my tool box on hunting trips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/284...ProductFinding

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-20-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy shoots the 240s and I have a box of them, I checked the BC of these 300s a few years back and they had a high BC for muzzleloaders...More importantly, my gun likes them...The deer don't...

I don't really think a deer would know the difference between a 240 or a 300 I just like the fact that I should get more exits with the 300s than the 240...
Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
That's a nice 'tall' bullet combo there. Thinking about ordering some from midway. I see Thompson has discontinued their green 44-cal sabots. That's too bad. My hunting buddy complained that the Hornady package has a green sabot that does not allow the bullet to seat well. I think it's made by MMP..... not sure. Anyways, when he opened the package and seen the poor fit, I had to give him some of my Harvester green sabots.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/284...ProductFinding
Just so you know... the MMP sabot is designed just as your friend complains. The bullet applied into the sabot does not seat all the way to the bottom of the sabot until it is pushed in through the crown and down the bore. The compression and stretching of the sabot as it pushed down causes the bullet to be seated in the sabot. If you were to push one through and out the breech you would see the application work, and the bullet would be seated in the bottom of the sabot.

Why? you might ask use this approach. One of the problems shooting bullets in sabots, especially heavier bullets, is the grip of the sabot on the bullet. The tighter the bullet fits in to the sabot the better the grip. Often the sabot will spin on the sabot and the bullet never reaches the spin rate it should, especially in warm weather or on a warm barrel.

MMP recognizes this fact and has tried to reduce the problem. Lehigh recognized the same problem and to help to alleviate the problem they have added gripping rings (Cannelure) on the bullet. Again to help the bullet grip the sabot.

You can see the rings on this bullet...

It seems today more and more folks are knurling their bullets before placing them in the sabot just to acquire this extra 'grip'.

And again this becomes more evident with warmer temperatures and heavier bullets.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-20-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 AM
1874sharpsshooter

http://www.krwarranty.com/ you can download one here. Just scroll to the bottom of the page

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader

The average-Joe sees a bullet going crooked down the bore. They have no realization that a proper seating and proper bullet alignment is going to occur at the breech.

That Hornady package should explain the process. I have read many posts of complaints on the dual-packaging, since the 44-T/C Mags Express were discontinued.

Not good for their business. When I considered purchasing the 44-XTP/300s in bulk, I made sure I had the Harvester green sabots on-hand. To me, fit right from the beginning of the process at the crown, right down to seating the bullet, is important, unless packaging directions say otherwise.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
http://www.krwarranty.com/ you can download one here. Just scroll to the bottom of the page
Thx for the info !
Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 AM
Spike

I read somewhere on a Forum (looking for it again now ) that there is an upgrade for the Original Disc Bolt - Anyone know of this or possibly changed your Bolt to upgrade??
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you can upgrade the std disc rifle to the disc extreme bolt. Knight has the conversion kits listed on their site, and you can also find them around here and there, usually for a good bit less. Ebay is a good place to look also.

I'm not sure if they offer the new style bolt with the bare primer plug as a kit, or not. One would think you could, maybe call Knight and ask.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be surprised if Knight did offer them that way. They seem so hell-bent on pushing those orange and red thig-a-ma-jigs.

They even hooked me without a line or sinker.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't upgrade...My brother has a Bighorn, I sighted it in and don't like the red disc as much as the orange ones...With the orange ones you just put them, close the bolt and you are done...The red ones have to be fitted more or less down in the hole, it was harder for me to do...I've never had a problem using the orange ones...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.