Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 breech plug

Old 11-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default BH209 breech plug

I have a Winchester APEX 50 cal. I would like to try BH powder in. Does anyone make a BH breech plug for that model, or can I modify the plug I have?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by scoutdad57
I have a Winchester APEX 50 cal. I would like to try BH powder in. Does anyone make a BH breech plug for that model, or can I modify the plug I have?
I do not remember for sure but I though the Apex was a 'plunger' gun even though it has a bolt. If the hammer can be pushed back by back pressure - Western does not recommend using BH in those type rifles. There is a personal safety concern.

Somebody with better knowledge will provide additional information.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Spike

Nope. Not a plunger type. It uses a 209 primer with a screw in breech plug. I'm just not sure if the stock breech plug would work with the BH powder, after some of the reading I have done.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i understand correctly, the Winchester Apex is/was made by CVA. It was/is similar to the TC Omega. The breech plug is the same as the breech plug in the old Optima, and Accura. If this is true, i have modified many many of these breech plugs, so owners could reliably shoot Blackhorn in their rifles.

Here is one way to modify the breech plug.

If you cannot, or don't wish to do the work yourself, i can do the work in exchange for dinero.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
If i understand correctly, the Winchester Apex is/was made by CVA. It was/is similar to the TC Omega. The breech plug is the same as the breech plug in the old Optima, and Accura. If this is true, i have modified many many of these breech plugs, so owners could reliably shoot Blackhorn in their rifles.

Here is one way to modify the breech plug.

If you cannot, or don't wish to do the work yourself, i can do the work in exchange for dinero.
Yes, it does use a CVA plug. I would be willing to pay to have one modified. I'll probably stick to pellets for this season. But after the season is over I'd like to start experimenting and working up a load for BH. I'll get a couple CVA breech plugs and contact you for the modifications. Got a ballpark price for your efforts?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

To modify a CVA breech plug to reliably ignite Blackhorn powder has an exact price of $25, which includes the cost of mailing the plug back home.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
To modify a CVA breech plug to reliably ignite Blackhorn powder has an exact price of $25, which includes the cost of mailing the plug back home.
Do you still make these breech plugs for the Winchester Apex?