Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Percussion or in-line

Old 01-31-2002, 08:07 PM

Default Old Percussion or in-line

which one would you choose, i have a old percussion i use for deer. Which one is better and more accurate.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:22 PM

Default RE: Old Percussion or in-line

Greets,
Well, I chose percussion, sidelock .50, when I bought. I kinda like the traditional take on it, might eventually get to the "purist" stage and go for a flintlock, but I am a bit scared to try that just yet.
I dont ( anymore ) knock those who want to use an inline or other more modern muzzleloaders, if its legal in your state, go fer it, they do appear to be more powerful and accurate, (inlines). In my homestate, forthe Muzzleloader only hunts its got to be open sight and open ignition.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-01-2002, 06:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Hawkens are pretty accurate. If you want to shoot roundballs, the Lyman Great Plains Hunter is good in .50 or .54. If you want a scope, get an inline. Inlines and traditional guns aren't more or less accurate than each other. It's the person pulling the trigger.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:39 PM

I choose a T/C Hawken .50cal. that I have had for 20yrs. This fall I bought a remington 700 mls to see if the accuracy claims and reliablity were all they were cracked up to be. They were true, she went bang every time I have pulled the trigger and the accuracy (after a lot of testing) is second to none. It will shoot an honest 1.5"-2" group @ 100yds off of the bench. But what I found was it is just not as fulfilling as shooting with my old hammergun. So I have made the commitment to the deer that I hunt to stick to a 75yd limit and hunt them in a more traditional manner with a hammergun and patched round balls. I'm selling the remington and will take the proceeds and buy a drop in barrel for my Hawken that has a twist rate for shooting balls, maybe I will be able to extend my range a mite further after this.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both cap locks and inlines are accurate and reliable.I do think the Inlines have a slight edge.It depends if you want to go modern or traditional. I hunt with a inline and a percussion sidelock.I have an old T/C Renegade in 54 cal.Last year I shot a 6 point with my disc and he dropped in his tracks.Accuracy depends on the load and the shooter. Practice and trying different loads will get you the results you are looking for.The rifle is only as good as the shooter. Ruger Redhawk