Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scouting

Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scouting

Got a chance to go for another look see so I ran to one of my more favorite elk hunting spots...

The real problem right now is the weather... it is really dry and hot, it has been for quite some time. Because of that the elk remain in the higher country and more than like tucked into a northside thermal cover.

Because of that I decided to go up to the head of one of the local drainages near the 4000' level. The highest point in the area is 5000'.

I parked at one of the more used campsites near the hunt area and using an areal photo found a skid trail that would get me to the area I wanted to hunt. Working my way down the old skid trail I did take a few pictures before I got to my selected visual point. I was going down just to sit and glass the area.

Right below the campsite I ran across one of the clues I was looking for...

It looks like a smaller immature bull worked out some frustrations on a small P Pine.

These last two pics show the west side of the drainage that we normally hunt in.

Other than the exercise and the great feeling being out there not much to report - other than I hope it rains and cools off.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Spike

Great country to be out in. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

really beautiful out there ... no doubt.

I took a walk through my woods and all I saw was grouse. Oh how I miss my dog. They flushed quick and were nervous, but with a good dog, I could have had a chance on two of them I'm sure.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's some pretty country, Sabotloader! I hope you guys have a successful year. Work has been so crazy for me, I haven't had any time to get out and scout.

ML season is less than a month away down here. It sure can't get here soon enough though!