Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bolt issue

Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default bolt issue

i have a muzzleloader technologies in line and just recently the bolt would not stay back in the fire position. i cleaned the trigger assembly with bore scrubber and wiped it done. the next time i used it it worked fine. cleaned the gun prior to my next range visit and had the same issue with the bolt not staying back. cleaned the trigger with the bore scrubber and it is working fine again. any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
i have a muzzleloader technologies in line and just recently the bolt would not stay back in the fire position. i cleaned the trigger assembly with bore scrubber and wiped it done. the next time i used it it worked fine. cleaned the gun prior to my next range visit and had the same issue with the bolt not staying back. cleaned the trigger with the bore scrubber and it is working fine again. any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to 'soak and flush' it with spray carburetor cleaner. I would think you might need to soak it to allow the cleaner to dissolve a long standing build up.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
My suggestion would be to 'soak and flush' it with spray carburetor cleaner. I would think you might need to soak it to allow the cleaner to dissolve a long standing build up.

And/or brake cleaner. Remember to wear eye and skin protection as the stuff is quite strong and noxious to breathe. And keep it off all non metal parts to avoid damage to wood, rubber, or synthetic finishes.

It removes ALL lubrication so remember to re-lube your weapon when finished.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I had to do the same thing with my LK rifles. I used brake cleaner. Put the little red straw on the nozzle, be sure to wear eye protection. Go outside and hold that out. Put the red straw inside the trigger assemble itself. And start spraying. Spray generous amounts. And get into every little hole and opening.

I even once took the trigger and tied it on a string. I put it is VERY HOT soapy water and kept dunking it up and down. This was to get any oil traces or grease traces out of the trigger. When the trigger cooled I then took it outside and sprayed it down with brake cleaner again. Then just a drop or two of oil, when you're sure the trigger is clean.