Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The flip side of how long

Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I usually just give a clean patch one lick to swab. The a dry patch. It's never failed me yet.

I always blow down the barrel after the shot to make sure the smoke blows out the nipple. I always know it's clear that way. I know some ranges don't like that, but mine isn't one of them. I never did see the danger in it. I'm checking to see the smoke blow out. I can only do it after i've shot. Where's the danger?
I know you are not going to want hear this but actually there is a very real danger - but very improbably... pertaining to possible un-burnt powder being blown back into a hot breech or partly burning powder then you supply the oxygen need for ignition.

I know I do it a lot but would not let my kids do it or anyone that I am teaching...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you really think there could be any unburned powder?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a barrel blower. Its a small funnel with a long piece of fish tank tube. You put the funnel in the muzzle sealing it and blow through the tube. Does the same thing, you see the smoke and never get that black powder taste that can sometimes happen.

I was at a public range once, and blew down the barrel. I thought the RO was going to come unglued. I would have told him to shut his pie hole but was worried he would have kicked me off the range. So I stood there and let him rant. And did not blow down the barrel again.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you really think there could be any unburned powder?
Definitely, especially if the powder has been compromised, it is really possible. Freak accidents are not freak for a reason and they do happen.

All I am saying is in the interest of safety...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the range? Heck, I don't know what the record is. But I suspect I'm pretty close. Years ago I went through a period of using too wet of a patch to swab. Even following that with a dry patch I was the king of FTF.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Better than saying - "Hey man where did my lips go?"

JW
Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Definitely, especially if the powder has been compromised, it is really possible. Freak accidents are not freak for a reason and they do happen.

All I am saying is in the interest of safety...
I only do it on the range when i've just loaded fresh dry powder. I can't imagine any BP being left unburned. It would be such a small amount, and if an ember lit it off it would just be blown out the nipple as smoke. I've been doing it for years with no problems.

You can always call me black lips if it happens to me.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got tired of fiddling with #11 caps. I switched to musket caps. Probably not needed, but just like shooting the load out every night.

It makes me feel better.
Muley,

I bought a used .54 Renegade some years back that had a beat up #11 nipple on it from some idiot dry firing it. I put a musket nipple on it for grins and it worked great. I sold the gun to my neighbor short while later and he never had a problem with misfires or hang-fires, but he can't find musket caps locally anymore...

BPS
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

So now I take it that this thread has progressed into a "to blow or not to blow" thread?

BPS
Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Muley,

I bought a used .54 Renegade some years back that had a beat up #11 nipple on it from some idiot dry firing it. I put a musket nipple on it for grins and it worked great. I sold the gun to my neighbor short while later and he never had a problem with misfires or hang-fires, but he can't find musket caps locally anymore...

BPS
Wish I could give him all mine, I have used both 11's and Musket cap's back a few years ago and at this point you could have every Musket cap I have. I will continue to use #11's

I started with Musket caps because everybody said they were hotter but I really had problems with them in cold weather - made the switch to #11 Mag caps and found nipples that the cap fit very tightly on - to the point they are nearly water proof - and every thing is good.

It still comes down to whomever said "keep your powder dry"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.