Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The FTX 250grain

Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
Anyone have any experience with the SST/ML FTX 250 grain Bullet. With 100 grains of BH 209 and a T/C shockwave sabot I can put 3 shots in 1 hole at 100 yards. Just have no experience with how it performs on game.
That FTX muzzleloader bullet is by far the worst bullet I've ever used on Deer size game. No blood trails, no expansion at all. I don't remember if bullets exited or just blew up in the Deer??? It's been along time since I shot Deer with them. I do remember heart shots, shoulder shots etc with no luck at all. I always laugh when I hear any bullet will work if placed in the right spot.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have about 500 of them and they do have the same POI as Shock Waves in my gun, I guess if I can not get them to work properly I can use them for practice.
What powder load were you using Tom?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well I have about 500 of them and they do have the same POI as Shock Waves in my gun, I guess if I can not get them to work properly I can use them for practice.
What powder load were you using Tom?
110grns of BH209 by volume out of a T/C Triumph. I believe it was before BH was on the market???
Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hum, maybe I should load them down instead of hotter.
When you said 140 grs. of BH209, I picked up on that real quick. I shoot 100 grs. in my CVA APEX and get nice results. I have to admit I haven't retrieved any bullets though. I always get nice straight through shots.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I have read this bullet was designed for a 450 Bushmaster which has a factory load that is supposed to get 2500 FPS and since I found a giveaway price on a closing sale I bought a bunch of them. The reason for the heavy load was I was trying to get as close to that 2500 FPS as I safely could. Actually it seems to be too much for the bullet but I know from my friends experience that they do work well for them in the Bushmaster. I now wonder if the jugs full of is a valid test. I know that you can not accurately simulate hunting conditions and live body situations.

Last edited by lemoyne; 08-10-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I have read this bullet was designed for a 450 Bushmaster which has a factory load that is supposed to get 2500 FPS and since I found a giveaway price on a closing sale I bought a bunch of them. The reason for the heavy load was I was trying to get as close to that 2500 FPS as I safely could. Actually it seems to be too much for the bullet but I know from my friends experience that they do work well for them in the Bushmaster. I now wonder if the jugs full of is a valid test. I know that you can not accurately simulate hunting conditions and live body situations.
The only real test is on game. I shoot a minimum of five animals before I say good or bad. There's always a why did that happen. In this case all 5 Deer were a perfect example of a terrible bullet.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now I am wondering what the twist of a 450 Bushmaster is I know that the twist is involved in the way a bullet opens up,the velocity is also a factor. It may be I will never get them to work properly then again it is an interesting challenge.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

My fisrt thought is that using 140 grs of BH 209 you are pushing that bullet way too hard. The last time I checked BH's website their maximum suggested load was 120 gr. by volume. It sure can't be much fun to shoot. For the last 2 years I have used nothing but Hornady's 250 gr and 300 gr SST in my Knight LRH and Master Hunter. My go to load is 110 Gr BH 209, Harvester's Black crush rib sabot or Hornady's 3 pedal EZ load sabot and a Federal 209A primer. The Shockwave is made by Hornady and uses a yellow tip and sabot. It's been a vey effective load for me; 16 hogs up to 250 lbs,4 whitetails, a nice fallow and an aoudad. Average range about 120 yds. Tracking hasn't been a problem as 3 deer dropped where shot and the 4th piled up at 25 yards. Massive internal damage. Same with nost of the hogs. The big boar stayed on his feet for 15 yds. Accuracy has been suberb as well. Both rifles sheet sub. MOA groups at a 100yds. Back off on the powder(your shoulder will thank you) and I think you will be pleased with the results.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pooldoc
I normally shoot SST or shock Wave 250gr for deer and hogs with 120 grain because of the accuracy. The only other bullet that gives me the same accuracy is the Lehigh. These were a special buy on a close out sale and I bought 500 of them for the price I normally pay for 100 SST and they shoot just as good. As far as the load is concerned I do my own testing with a strain gage and the pressure peak is lower and longer than 777 120 gr or 150 grain of Pyrodex so I am comfortable with it I do not go over that and the recoil is noticeable but I am not bothered by it.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never used that FTX bullet myself. Hog hunters who use the.450 Bushmaster swear by that gun. They sure enough kill a lot of hogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.