Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bugs get it done

Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bugs get it done

Last Fall I shot a deer which was nice but borderline for spending money. He was a dandy for the conditions ( sub zero all week ) with a real good story on the hunt.

So I put him in the rose garden for the Summer, I just pulled him out and those bugs did a number on him, The lower jaw and neck just fell away.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

very cool. You buried it in the rose garden?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
very cool. You buried it in the rose garden?
Yes. Out back of the house and put a cover over it for the winter and never removed it. The cover was something your put over a plant to protect it for the winter so it didn't really look out of place.

Only minor gripes from the Mrs.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious about this one....Do you have to bury one in a rose garden or would just burying one anywhere with nothing but the antlers above ground be sufficient as long as you made sure that predators/carrion eaters couldn't haul it away?

BPS
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I'm curious about this one....Do you have to bury one in a rose garden or would just burying one anywhere with nothing but the antlers above ground be sufficient as long as you made sure that predators/carrion eaters couldn't haul it away?

BPS
You can burry it anywhere. I live in the city so the landscaping around my house was the only option. I did have a critter go after it this spring. I put a planting pot on top of the cover and shoveled a little dirt around the edges.

I'm sure it didn't need this long. There was not a spec of flesh left and aside from being stained, it's perfect. Just a quick rinse with the hose and it's clean as a whistle. I plan on whitening it up with hydrogen peroxide and sunshine.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
You can burry it anywhere. I live in the city so the landscaping around my house was the only option. I did have a critter go after it this spring. I put a planting pot on top of the cover and shoveled a little dirt around the edges.

I'm sure it didn't need this long. There was not a spec of flesh left and aside from being stained, it's perfect. Just a quick rinse with the hose and it's clean as a whistle. I plan on whitening it up with hydrogen peroxide and sunshine.
Did you skin the "mask" and ears off the deer's head and remove the brains or just bury it as is?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 07-12-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

My Buddy used the cape from this deer for his, so he caped it out.

I'm sure this helped the process. I think I will make hide removal standard operating procedure moving forward.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put it on the roof, and let the birds clean it.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 07-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

my friend throws all his skulls on the steel roof of his barn to let the birds clean them and to bleach out. But he discovered Ravens will haul them off.
We have a lot of Ravens (much bigger then crows) up where I live.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
my friend throws all his skulls on the steel roof of his barn to let the birds clean them and to bleach out. But he discovered Ravens will haul them off.
We have a lot of Ravens (much bigger then crows) up where I live.
Dave,

We have them here in my neck of the woods as well. Definitely bigger than crows and their "CAW" is deeper and more raspy than the common crow. I also believe they're more solitary in nature than crows.

BPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.