Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in today.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sighting in today.

I decided on the way out to shoot a cold clean shot at 150. I had the sighting somewhat done last time and I wanted to test that. So off the bench I shot this one.

I wish I could say it was nothing but skill but I would be fibbing. The next two were 3" to the right. I went back to 200 yards and that is where I had trouble. The truck was sitting on it's side on a side hill and I was having a b-hooch of a time getting my $hit together. I realized that because of the steepness of the hill I was resting the butt of the gun on the tailgate. That was causing my shots to be erratic. I got that straightened out and I shot these two shots back to back.

I wanted to get off that hill so I moved back to 250 yards. I ran out of room on the range there. I set the sight and it was close. I shot again and I wish I could say it was skill but I can't, not at that range. It was lucky but those two are at the bottom. I adjusted the sight up a few clicks and the higher one circled was it.

I had to call it quits, My shoulder had enough and the wind was starting to kick up. My next session I will shoot a cold clean shot at 200 but I need to find a different place. That side hill stunk. Then I will verify the 250 height and shoot a little closer. If all goes well I can start practicing with the shooting sticks at various yardages. That will be more of hunting practice than target. Ron
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, do you have some sort of cover on the bed of your truck, or an open bed?

With the kind of shooting you do you should have an open bed with a shooting bench in it facing out the rear. Point the rear of the truck at the target, climb aboard the bench, and fire away.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Looks like your off to a very good start. That's a long poke without a scope . Keep us posted

Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Ron, do you have some sort of cover on the bed of your truck, or an open bed?

With the kind of shooting you do you should have an open bed with a shooting bench in it facing out the rear. Point the rear of the truck at the target, climb aboard the bench, and fire away.

This is not the gun I was shooting I just wanted to show, this is how I set up "bench" For level ground it works well but that hill I was on was the $hits. I need to find a different place to shoot but everything is so dry here I have to go to the gravel pit or risk setting the desert on fire.
I found a spot to get to 300 but I will have to shoot over the top of some interesting terrain to make it happen. Walking down to the target will be a chore.

Last edited by idahoron; 07-12-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Looks like your off to a very good start. That's a long poke without a scope . Keep us posted

I agree that is a long poke for a peep. I would never shoot at an animal that was not wounded at that kid of range. I only sight in at that range in case something stupid happens and I need to try to clean up a problem. On a wounded animal I wold try to get another bullet in it at any range but for the first shot I like under 150. Ron
Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I agree that is a long poke for a peep. I would never shoot at an animal that was not wounded at that kid of range. I only sight in at that range in case something stupid happens and I need to try to clean up a problem. On a wounded animal I would try to get another bullet in it at any range but for the first shot I like under 150. Ron
Spoken like a true sportsman!! Ron...have you ever considered build a shooting table (bench) with adjustable legs for uneven terrain?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 07-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to transport it about 8 miles. It would be too hard to do a lot more transporting. The target, the sandbags, and the bucket take up all my room under the wooden flat top on the bed of the truck. The areas we are allowed to shoot is getting less and less every day. The areas that are safe to shoot with a muzzleloader because of risk of fire are even less. Ron
Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The photo captured two different ways to sight rifles, when one does it on all kind of terrain, and in all kind of weather. The cheap work bench isn't the best, but it has allowed us to shoot pop cans out over 400 yard, and a milk jug out over 1/4 mile. The 'window rest' allows one to sight a rifle in the rain, snow, cold, and on muddy, or hilly ground.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

amazing shooting for open sights.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't do that with the stock Lyman 17aml globe inserts. I am not bashing them!!
I am saying that there is no way to shoot over 100 yards because they are just not fine enough. At 250 yards I can put the Lee Shavers insert on this target and I can see paper on all 4 sides. 300 yards covers it up. The Lee Shavers inserts make all the difference and they fit right into the Lyman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.