Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

group sizes

Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default group sizes

What are REALISTIC expectations for group sizes @ 100 yards for a relatively modern in line muzzle loader?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It always depends on how good a shot the shooter is more than what the gun will do.

A modern scoped inline is capable of MOA if the shooters is.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Something like this, these are various inlines I have sighted in for my hunting buddies...

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

At 100 yards with a scoped inline from the bench? Very best five shot groups around 1.5". Normal average five shot groups around 3".
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
What are REALISTIC expectations for group sizes @ 100 yards for a relatively modern in line muzzle loader?
You should be able to get MOA or even sub MOA if you put in the time and effort for load development and find the best load your rifle likes. But even with only minimal experimenting you should be able to get 1 to 2 inches easy.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

From a bench, good shooting conditions, a good powder / projectile combination, 3 shot groups....< 2 1/2" consistently, MOA occasionally. If you can't get a 3" group I'd change the load.

That's my experience. I don't claim to be the best shot at the range.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I've been in the 2 1/2 to 3 range. guess I'll tinker with my powder this weekend. How many shots do you fire before doing a complete cleaning? or better yet how many shots before it will affect your accuracy?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the powder you're using. Why not tell us everything you're using? Gun, powder, primer, and bullet.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Depends on the powder you're using. Why not tell us everything you're using? Gun, powder, primer, and bullet.
There's the best answer so far.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I've been in the 2 1/2 to 3 range. guess I'll tinker with my powder this weekend. How many shots do you fire before doing a complete cleaning? or better yet how many shots before it will affect your accuracy?

I hunt with a clean barrel and clean between each and every shot when sighting in...It only takes a few seconds if you are organized...I use a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in it, dampen 2 patches, run down, using both sides, then a dry patch then a patch lightly sprayed with WD-40, then a dry patch and I'm ready...

The secret is to not use patches that are too wet that might get that dampness into the breach plug...

All my groups were shot with FFF Goex...As you see 80-85 grs was the ticket...Bullets were either .430 Hornady XTPs in 240 or 300gr with the Harvester plain green sabot for those bullets...

Rifles were a Knight Original Disc, a Knight Bighorn, an Omega and an Optima, so brand of rifle had little to do with group size...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.