Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dumb Question

Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I asked him about it being a flintlock I saw him sitting on the forum for over an hour, but wouldn't answer. Then he left, and hasn't been back.

Hard to help a guy like that. We still don't know what he's hunting, or where. He could be coming out west for an elk hunt for all we know.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
When I asked him about it being a flintlock I saw him sitting on the forum for over an hour, but wouldn't answer. Then he left, and hasn't been back.

Hard to help a guy like that. We still don't know what he's hunting, or where. He could be coming out west for an elk hunt for all we know.
Coming this fall!! Look for him in the woods near you .

Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
Coming this fall!! Look for him in the woods near you .
Closer to the truth that you might think. I've had to resort to an OTC bull tag this year in rifle season. I expect to see lots of hunters with a good majority of them non residents. It's going to be hard to find some solitude.

Normally, I just hunt draw units which cuts down the number of hunters.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I should explain my knowledge of his situation and also admit, like him I forgot to share those details in my own posts reference him.... in a PM he advised me it was a flintlock. So yes, he has a flintlock. And being from PA he hunts deer. But on a side note I try not to be too critical of new posters and new muzzle loading members. Many are not aware of the terminology used for rifles as we are, and some don't even understand the importance of saying.. its a flintlock. To them its a new adventure in use of antique weapons.

So knowing its a flintlock for deer, don't you feel a .50 caliber roundball will do fine? We know a maxiball will as some people have hunted elk with them. And I suggested powder loads because I have both the .50 and .54 in flintlock Trade Rifles. And that is what mine likes to shoot. I should have pointed out to him that my .54 caliber Trade Rifle even shoots large .54 caliber 405 grain powerbelts extremely accurate. I have never tried them in my .50 because it shoots roundball so excellent, that is all I shoot.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, a PRB will be fine. He could have given the info on the forum instead of a PM. I was waiting for his answer.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

That's probably cause he saw you were watching him.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by cayugad
But on a side note I try not to be too critical of new posters and new muzzle loading members. Many are not aware of the terminology used for rifles as we are, and some don't even understand the importance of saying.. its a flintlock. To them its a new adventure in use of antique weapons.
That must be why he pm'd you instead of Muley

Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Another twist... and the only reason I think this is that Tom hunts the PA flintlock season but he uses sabots and a Lehigh/Bloodline 452-250 grain. A lot of the PA hunters are using a faster twist flintlocks. Hard to believe if they want you to use a Flintlock but allow sabots...
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
That must be why he pm'd you instead of Muley
Probably because he thought he'd never get a load recommendation from me. I just wanted more facts, before giving him one.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dang, and I thought Cay had ESP............

As far as powder charges, from 70-100grs works from a .45 to a .54, just gotta figure out which is best...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.