Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well I got a New Rifle….

Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Well I got a New Rifle….

I picked up a TC Seneca .45 cal.:

It looked good inside and out, but noticed some cracks in the wood in the front of the stock:

I'm sure it can be fixed, but is there a good glue someone can recommend?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Spike

Personally I would trust Lepage Carpenter's glue or Epoxy.

Read this if you want, interesting test.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I like that Gorilla Glue and make sure its for wood and professional strength. That stuff is tough. If you can get any in there, Liquid Nail would fix that.

That is a nice rifle. And a rare model to boot. Good luck with it.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Appears as though the fit of the wedge pin needs some adjustment as well. I recall someon on here had a thread regarding the repair of this issue. Can't remember exactly who it was though. Perhaps Semisane?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

After this I will take the gun apart and get a better look of the damage. It does look like the wedge pin assembly may need some work to correct. Will get back with you guys and fill you all in.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I almost forgot, do these Senecas normally come with a 1 in 48" twist??? I'm thinking yes, but don't really know. I got a box of stuff with the gun with both round balls and conicals.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I almost forgot, do these Senecas normally come with a 1 in 48" twist??? I'm thinking yes, but don't really know. I got a box of stuff with the gun with both round balls and conicals.
rafsob,

It should be 1:48 which is the same twist as my .45 Hawken. Is that a brass wedge pin? My Seneca has the original color case hardened steel wedge pin as shown on page 20 in the #8 catalog I'm looking at. For what you have in it $$ wise I wouldn't be too concerned, it should be a relatively easy fix and should make a fine shooter. The original manual states that round ball loads should not exceed 90 gr. and Maxi-ball loads not exceed 80 gr. Personally, I would keep them well under that, maybe a 70-75 gr. max. load. After all it's your Seneca, not your Big Boar!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is a 1:48 twist. The Seneca is a fine rifle. I owned 2 of them. They are a joy to carry and the .45 is plenty for deer if you're so inclined to use it. As for the wedge pin. I normally put a slight bend in mine until I get the tension I want. When I do, I put a "T" on the top so I know which way it goes in every time.
As for the crack - I good professional grade wood glue will hold it together. Just CAREFULLY put a knife edge or thin screwdriver tip in the crack to spread it slightly and force the glue into the crack filling it completely. Once filled, remove the tool and lightly clamp it to hold it in place.
Nice rifle - enjoy.