Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So why????

Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I said it woud cost "ME" double that.

I never found a factory production rifle that ever satified my needs. I use to go custom.

Ok first off I am not big on Savage. I own a Savage MLII only because its the only game in town In a Smokeless Ml. Otherwise I would never own a Savage product. I was always a Reminton 700 fan.

First thing that would have to go on that rifle woud be the the trigger. That would be another $100+. Add a bed job on the stock that would be $150. Mounts another $50.

So we are quickly getting up there in price for even a factory production gun just to get it to shoot to the standard that a CVA optima will shoot. IMHO.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Cool Clothes.
Thanks man. I spent several years researching that persona and selecting the right fabrics and getting the period correct look. I have far more invested in that outfit than I care to think about or comment on. Its crazy.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
I said it woud cost "ME" double that.

I never found a factory production rifle that ever satified my needs. I use to go custom.

Ok first off I am not big on Savage. I own a Savage MLII only because its the only game in town In a Smokeless Ml. Otherwise I would never own a Savage product. I was always a Reminton 700 fan.

First thing that would have to go on that rifle woud be the the trigger. That would be another $100+. Add a bed job on the stock that would be $150. Mounts another $50.

So we are quickly getting up there in price for even a factory production gun just to get it to shoot to the standard that a CVA optima will shoot. IMHO.
Not sure why? The gun as it comes will shoot 1/2 MOA.

I'll take the Accutrigger over what Remington is putting out now.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

My dad started me hunting in 1947 with a $20 H & R Topper 16 guage single shot. He and my uncle would give us one shell and if we missed a rabbit or quail we didn't get another shell until the next hunt. It was a great lesson on patience and shot shot choice. Over the years I moved on to an A-5 Browning and others and when deer populations in Georgia increased to a huntable levels I used bolt action rifles for many years before going to a Ruger No. 1 in 300 Weatherby. Like a lot of you, I had become a shooter and not a hunter. In 1999 I made the move to muzzleloaders and gave my kids my CF's. It was a great decision and now I shoot nothing but ML's for large and small game. I welcomed the challenge and I spend far more time on the range. tinkering with my equipment and loads and hunting than I ever did with CF's. My early trainng has paid off big time and in the last 6 years I've not needed a second shot for anything I shot.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

I started hunting as a bowhunter for years. I loved the idea of one chance shots. I finally bought a rifle- a ruger number one, again a single shot. In the late 80's I bought an mk85. Boy was I hooked. Its now my favorite season of the year especially where I hunt in Virginia cause the ruts in pretty good.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a bow, ml, and cf rifle each season. For years, bow was my weapon of choice. I had lots of time to scout, bow hunted alot, etc. I loved being out there with nobody around, and the game basically unpressured. Lately with teenagers...my available time is much less - so I don't bowhunt as much as I used to, or would like to. Maybe I will again someday.

I began ML hunting back when they had separate seasons and it gave me addl time in the woods after the rifle season ended. Now (in my area of VA) rifle is about 2mos long, but they still have a 2 week early ML hunt prior to rifle at the start of Nov. That is usually the best time to be hunting where I live, and the pressure is less than rifle season. That is why I like to use them more now.

I still rifle hunt, but over the past 5 years or so...I pick up one of my ML's more often than a cf rifle - even during rifle season. Not even really sure why, maybe its a little more of a challenge to me - although most of my guns will shoot as good as most cf rifles. I don't know, I just enjoy it I guess. Maybe my taste will shift again at some point. I'm ok with that, as long as I'm still out there and enjoying it!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy it mostly, but I also like the 1 and only 1 shot deal, it makes you wait for the perfect shot and if it doesn't happen then I pass and feel good about it. I love the challenge part of it too, I've never needed more than 1 shot in many years of hunting because I only take the best possible shot. I've hunted with my Muzzleloader strictly for almost 25 years now, I also Bow Hunt and love that equally.
(BP)
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I use a bow, ml, and cf rifle each season. For years, bow was my weapon of choice. I had lots of time to scout, bow hunted alot, etc. I loved being out there with nobody around, and the game basically unpressured. Lately with teenagers...my available time is much less - so I don't bowhunt as much as I used to, or would like to. Maybe I will again someday.

I began ML hunting back when they had separate seasons and it gave me addl time in the woods after the rifle season ended. Now (in my area of VA) rifle is about 2mos long, but they still have a 2 week early ML hunt prior to rifle at the start of Nov. That is usually the best time to be hunting where I live, and the pressure is less than rifle season. That is why I like to use them more now.

I still rifle hunt, but over the past 5 years or so...I pick up one of my ML's more often than a cf rifle - even during rifle season. Not even really sure why, maybe its a little more of a challenge to me - although most of my guns will shoot as good as most cf rifles. I don't know, I just enjoy it I guess. Maybe my taste will shift again at some point. I'm ok with that, as long as I'm still out there and enjoying it!

I too bow hunt. I tend to use bow hunting season for two things.

1. Scouting for Muzzloading season.

2. It sharpens my stalking skills and standing skills for Muzzloading season.

If you bow hunt and are a successful bow hunter you learn to work the wind,, set your ranges up for short shots, clear shooting lanes , slalk your game. All of those things make you a better Muzzloader hunter. No need to worry about 300 yard shooting contest when you follow sort of theory.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have averaged one or two deer since 1975. Of those taken I have only killed 8 deer with cartridge guns. Six have been taken with archery equipment.The rest have been killed with muzzleloaders. I began hunting with primitive muzzle loaders in 1976 and the more I hunted with the muzzleloader the more I enjoyed it. In 1996 I began hunting exclusively with flintlocks. I built a 32 caliber for squirrel hunting and sometimes use a 62 caliber loaded with shot. Most of the time I use a 58 caliber for deer,bear and hogs although I have yet to get a bear. The people I hunt with are like, This guy is something else. He hunts with a flintlock and actually kills deer with it. The thing is, I don't sacrifice much. my rifles are accurate, reliable and hard hitting. A 60 year shot is a long shot in the kind of places that I like to hunt. I can reload and be ready for another shot in less than 15 seconds. I like that cloud of white smoke that comes out the muzzle when I fire. And Finally, I enjoy experimenting with different powder loads, patching materials and patch lubes. It is just plain fun for me.