Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So why????

Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

For years I hunted with center fire rifles. I'd go out, shoot the deer and be back by noon many times. I just was not a challenge. Then I met an old man that hunted with muzzleloaders. He got me shooting them. And so I bought my own. Well that first year hunting with my renegade .54 caliber, I was actually excited to hunt again. In a long time too. And I kept it up.

I have even noticed while I have scoped muzzleloaders, I often still take the old Renegade of a different open sighted rifle and hunt. Not all the time, but some of the time. It put the fun back in hunting.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

It comes down to 5 basic wants/needs/desires for me.

1.Longer Hunting seasons
2.Challenge
3.Accessibility to areas/regions to hunt ML's only
4.Tradition
5. Cheaper to set up and cheaper to shoot a Ml.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
It comes down to 5 basic wants/needs/desires for me.

1.Longer Hunting seasons
2.Challenge
3.Accessibility to areas/regions to hunt ML's only
4.Tradition
5. Cheaper to set up and cheaper to shoot a Ml.
Myself, i have my own ideas, of course, and i do use a muzzle loader for your reason # 1, and reason # 3. Stalking game is a challenge, no matter what the weapon, so your reason #2 makes no sense to me. Myself, i care nothing about tradition; your reason # 4, and right or wrong, i can imagine you hunting with a side lock whilst wearing high tech under wear, outer wear, water proof shoes, and carrying a binocular you consider the very best of optic. Your reason #5 is just plain false.

Yes, i know our reasons are our personal reasons, and we all of us, should respect other's reasons. However, i just felt a need to 'bust yer chops', and i hope you persist in your 'belief/opinion', even though some/me, may disagree. Please allow me to apologize ahead, if my post hurts your feeling.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad you admit your post was to bust his chops, because that's the only value to your post.

That was my version of busting chops. How did I do?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't do good, because i thought what i wrote was true, but you don't think it had any value, so you hurt my feeling.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here, have a cookie. It always makes you feel better.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm glad you admit your post was to bust his chops, because that's the only value to your post.

That was my version of busting chops. How did I do?
Does any of your 5,760 posts have any value? Just bustin chops.

Last edited by chaded; 10-11-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Myself, i have my own ideas, of course, and i do use a muzzle loader for your reason # 1, and reason # 3. Stalking game is a challenge, no matter what the weapon, so your reason #2 makes no sense to me. Myself, i care nothing about tradition; your reason # 4, and right or wrong, i can imagine you hunting with a side lock whilst wearing high tech under wear, outer wear, water proof shoes, and carrying a binocular you consider the very best of optic. Your reason #5 is just plain false.

Yes, i know our reasons are our personal reasons, and we all of us, should respect other's reasons. However, i just felt a need to 'bust yer chops', and i hope you persist in your 'belief/opinion', even though some/me, may disagree. Please allow me to apologize ahead, if my post hurts your feeling.
Nope. No hurt feeling here. But your post is incorrect on many counts. Allow me to bust your chops for a moment.

Well you would be wrong on reason 4

Well at least some of the time. I do indulge in full gear from time to time to get back to tradition. Being a 18th century reenactor not only do I play the part I live the part.

Some may argue the point but a muzzle loader weather it be inline or sidelock is still a muzzleloader and still has to be loaded and shot the same way regardless of ignition. Knowinggood and well both arguments I really don't see any difference. Its still muzzloading. So yes I see some traditional values when I am muzzloading hunting even with a scoped inline with my high tech Wiggys fish net underwear and Swarovski Binos.

AS far as point 5 is concerned I don't shoot Barnes Bullets or other Premium bullets that cost $50+ dollars a box. Don't feel I need them for a White Tail deer. My XTP bullets cost me about $17 bucks per 50. That's probaby about .50 cents per shot with powder and 209. I haven't shot a Centerfire in about 14 years but I always liked premium ammo and I am guessing each round of my favorite fodder would probably cost me upwards of $2 dollars a round at todays prices.

As far as setting up a scoped inline it cost me far less than any centerfire I ever did own. Today I can set up a CVA Optima stock out of the box supplied with scope hardware and a quality scope all for under $400 bucks. It would cost me at least double that to set up a quality centerfire. No thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool Clothes.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason

As far as setting up a scoped inline it cost me far less than any centerfire I ever did own. Today I can set up a CVA Optima stock out of the box supplied with scope hardware and a quality scope all for under $400 bucks. It would cost me at least double that to set up a quality centerfire. No thanks!
No it wouldn't.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78134

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.