Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A good hunting load

Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default A good hunting load

Everyone works up a good load based on what their gun likes best , or at least most people on here do .
For many years in spite of the experimenting I end up using 130 gr triple 7 and a 250 gr bullet in my inline (I've taken deer at extreme ranges with that load) It is accurate and deadly
In myLyman GPH I use 110 gr triple 7and a 425 gr hornadt Great Plains bullet . I have taken deer at 140 yards with it and they never went more than 20 yards.
I keep thinking I'm going to try more variation for hunting but most of the time I end up using the same old load when it actually comes time to hunt .
This year I am definitely going to try a new load combination .
I got this load from Doc , he has been shooting it and claims 3 touching shots at 100 yards .
So I'm going to try it out and see

My new load for at least one or two deer is :
White ESR 1:18 twist
5gr 2f blackpowder under 65gr Blackhorn
460 gr white or bullshop conical
That ought to get a deers attention
I will let everyone know how that works out once the season gets here.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 10-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year i backed down my ULA 275gr BE load. I figured 2400fps+ using 58gr of smokeless was a bit much in a 5lb rifle and it shoots just as good at 2200fps with 41gr of another powder.

I may even use the 225gr XPB at 2300fps this year. Recoil is much less and i don't have to watch out for any lead in the meat. Those older BEs are a bit explosive when shot very fast but the Barnes handle it without much weight loss.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

As you said Sharpsshooter, I've done a ton of load experimentation with most of my guns. But it seems that when loading up an inline for hunting I always end up with 85 grains of GOEX under a 300 grain Deep Curl or XTP. And it's mostly XTPs these days because Deep Curls are mighty hard to find.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
This year i backed down my ULA 275gr BE load. I figured 2400fps+ using 58gr of smokeless was a bit much in a 5lb rifle and it shoots just as good at 2200fps with 41gr of another powder.

I may even use the 225gr XPB at 2300fps this year. Recoil is much less and i don't have to watch out for any lead in the meat. Those older BEs are a bit explosive when shot very fast but the Barnes handle it without much weight loss.
Gee I'm getting recoil shy just thinking about a 5 pound gun .I would be afraid to pull the trigger . Give me 10 or 12 pounds anyday
I would rather stop and rest often than get knocked back when I pull the trigger . But it seems ultralight is on demand . Sounds like a good load and about twice as fast as my chunk of lead . But if the bullshop connects you usually dont have to do much tracking

Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah the recoil is just like a 375H&H with a 275gr in a full sized rifle..not fun. I shoot the same bullet in my Pacnor 45cal at roughly 2600fps but its a heavy rifle. Its a cream puff with a 40-200gr SST or Barnes 195gr and shoots so flat, its aim and shoot out to a bit over 200 yards.

The 54-120 might see action again this year. Its almost as nice to carry and i do like the larger entrance hole. I take both with me to the hunting camp anyway. Plus this year i wont be scoping the large field i normally hunt opening day.