Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lost my favorite hunting Spot

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lost my favorite hunting Spot

My buddy sold off one of his hunting properties, the piece that has the big swamp that Connie and I and all the rest used to hunt on opening day. He got 5 times more than he paid for it, were gonna miss that place, lot's of good times, memories and deer have been had there.
On another note we picked up another 200 acres that adjoin another 2 pieces of property we hunt that's owned by some good friends and there Inlaws. All togeather now there's around 500 acres with the 3 pieces.
A big corn farmer let us post and add the piece to our friends, it's a good thing as it's never been allowed to be hunted before, tons of deer are in it and with all the corn fields bordering it, it should be very productive.
It's sad but life goes on, I have a stand all built for Connie and I for this years opener on Nov 16th, it'll be the first time in 15 years that we wont be hunting the Swamp.
(BP)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well hope all goes well for you guys this and every season after. Its one of those things i hate to see as well the loss of good land.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My club has about 4,000 ac and I still had to get my hands on a 100 acre piece. It adjoins my club property, but there is only 6 of us that have this piece. It is nice when too many members show up at the drawing room. We can just turn around and go out to this 100 ac piece. Had fun working it this past week. We managed to put in a total of 8 locations, 7 ladder stands and one ground blind. There is plenty of room to expand this, but good enough for now though.

I also have had the pain of loosing good hunt property. but then I ended up finding better spots in the end. I am going up tomorrow for a week and a half of archery. I love this time more then anything. think of all this property and maybe a handful of archery hunters sitting around going over the next days strategy on where to hunt. Ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
My club has about 4,000 ac and I still had to get my hands on a 100 acre piece. It adjoins my club property, but there is only 6 of us that have this piece. It is nice when too many members show up at the drawing room. We can just turn around and go out to this 100 ac piece. Had fun working it this past week. We managed to put in a total of 8 locations, 7 ladder stands and one ground blind. There is plenty of room to expand this, but good enough for now though.

I also have had the pain of loosing good hunt property. but then I ended up finding better spots in the end. I am going up tomorrow for a week and a half of archery. I love this time more then anything. think of all this property and maybe a handful of archery hunters sitting around going over the next days strategy on where to hunt. Ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!
Our Archery season started Oct 1st, were busy picking grapes so I wont get out for awhile yet. The factories set a date for us to start picking and it was Too Late, should have been a week or so earlier, they were worried with the heavy crop that they wouldn't be ripe in time. Well we had some nice warm sunny weather in september and the grapes are riper earlier than expected, now everyone is in panic to get them picked before they fall on the ground. The worst part is the factories arn't giving the scheduals (loads) they should to every one, there giving less because of the heavy crop so the farmers may not be able to market all of there crops, once the tanks are full at the factories they stop taking them, then all the crop that the farmers have let will just sit on the vine, crazy year.
But soon enough I'll be in a tree relaxing waiting for mr. big buck to walk by, if he doesn't I'll just sit back and enjoy life.
Hope all has been well rafsob, and good luck while afield.
(BP)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear it BP. But yes, life goes on. Been there several times, and I'm sure at some point I will again. The only place I know I won't lose is the 41ac that I own. Good luck on your new peice!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

BP...

You're not alone in this. When I was young there were very few places I couldn't hunt but there's not many of us natives left in the township I live in. I would safely say that excluding my own property, there's only about 20% of what I used to hunt that I'm still allowed access to. It sucks but it's all part of the progress of man.

BPS
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am through the same thing right now. A divorce broke our land into 3 sections. The lady got a large pasture and a third of our cutover. The new owner gave us permission to bowhunt and blackpowder hunt still. He told us to leave our stands up and also our game cameras. So far we have had black electrical tape over our camera lenses and on opening day of bow his 12 year old daughter was constantly driving a 4 wheeler thru the cutover.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deer655
I am through the same thing right now. A divorce broke our land into 3 sections. The lady got a large pasture and a third of our cutover. The new owner gave us permission to bowhunt and blackpowder hunt still. He told us to leave our stands up and also our game cameras. So far we have had black electrical tape over our camera lenses and on opening day of bow his 12 year old daughter was constantly driving a 4 wheeler thru the cutover.
Once sold, it's sold...no matter what's said you no longer have a say, been there, done that. Had a relative sell some land which I and a couple of good friends hunted for years, the new owner gave us permission and wanted us to feel at home and to hunt when ever we wanted. Well a chain saw running all day during archery season and 4 wheelers and tractors driving through just didn't cut it for hunting. Neither did his friends walk with there dogs past our stands while we were hunting at 4:30. The best part was when he asked where his free Venison was.....it would have been there had they not scared all the deer away.
(BP)