Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight' s little red disc

Old 09-28-2003, 06:54 PM

Default knight' s little red disc

ok, i got 10 of the dics with my gun and i shot some the other day and i was wondering if i had to buy new discs for every shot or can i reuse them and if i can how many times may i use them? after i shot my gun the other day i cleaned it all up and i was wondering what i have to do after i cleaned it all up what i have to do, anything?, i put some bore butter down the barrel, do i have to wipe that all out before i shoot next time, thanks, who_else
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: knight' s little red disc

the red disk' s are designed to be used only one time, you can buy them in packs of 100 for little or nothing.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:35 AM

You can reuse them at least five of six times-- though some use them even more.

" Bore Butter" is rendered animal fat and wax: not a good metal protectant at all.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are both correct. You can reuse them, but they are so cheap, why bother. Especially if you' re hunting, the smell of black powder on them is one less thing to worry about.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

RandyWakeman ,
you' re entitled to your opinion of Bore Butter , but I' ve used nothing else since I started ML and my bores have stayed shiny and rust free . Daniel Boone and others of his time used bear fat and didn' t seem to have a rust prob either . I have a friend who uses unsalted lard for bore lube and rust preventer and he loves it . Some folks I know use Crisco and swear by it . Use whatever you like if it works .
Old 09-29-2003, 07:09 AM

Daniel Boone and others of his time used bear fat and didn' t seem to have a rust prob either .
Who told you that?

Sure anyone can do as they choose, but if you can improve-- why not do so?
Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 AM

where do i buy the discs at? are they avaible at walmart? or do i have to order them direct from Knight? I thnk that I will use the bore butter to keep my bore from rusting. thanks, who_else.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy my Knights plastic Disc' s from www.midsouthshooterssupply.com or www.natchezss.com.

The discs can be used more then once. Of course Knight sells them and they recommend a new one for each shot.If I' m at the range I might use them more then once. Hunting it' s a one shot deal. Use and replace it.It' s not worth taking chances to save a couple penny' s.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-29-2003, 07:01 PM

If I' m at the range I might use them more then once. Hunting it' s a one shot deal. Use and replace it.It' s not worth taking chances to save a couple penny' s.
Couldn' t have said it better! Reusing them doesn' t work as well with the plunger style Knights though. I do reuse them with my Extreme though at the range.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

I would use a true rust prevenative for your ML. Some have good luck with it, many have had rust problems. Sometimes the stars do align properly and Bore Butter might work... why take the chance.