Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting Ready for Bear

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting Ready for Bear

I took the Lyman Flintlock .54 Cal Great Plains Rifle out to prep it for bear.

The load I was trying is: 100 gr GOEX 2F, GOEX 4F for prime, .535 Hornady Round Ball, , .018 Thick Blue Stripe Pillow Tick that I buy at Walmart whenever I'm in the USA. I cut a strip about an inch/inch and a half wide. Dip my finger in some of my bear fat / bees wax lube and rub it into the patch material. Then I cut the patches at the muzzle while loading.

Lube and Patch material.

First target. I had the 1/2 bull sitting right on top of my front sight. I was shooting high??? So I looked at my sight and found out why. It was set for 100 yds. set the sight to 0 (my 50 yd setting) and fired three more shots. That was better.

Now that I had that sorted out I fired a five shot group for effect.

Here is a picture of a few patches from today. They look just fine. No cutting or burn through.

Now if I can just get a bear or two to hit my bait!!! AND keep my teenagers out of my stand!!!

HA
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you're ready!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice group. It looks like your all set.