Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chpt #4-Sabotless Shooting- ULite in the Rock Pit

Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
Good shooting and good report sabot I would like to see chono on the bullets your shooting with sub base and with the cards and the wads and on paper to see the difference.and I think the bullet your talking about is 350gr bullet from lehigh.

These are the Lehigh/Bloodlines I think I am talking about

http://www.knightrifles.com/Bloodline-.54-325-20-pack/
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you that the new Monoflex bullets are guilding metal. 95% copper and 5% zinc. The few that have tried to get them to shoot sabotless in 45cals with only knurling are not having much success.

The Lehigh sabotless bullets had REAL type bands. I have an idea that might raise some small bands. The actual bullet to land fit would need to be super close because the bands would be really small. It also might require you anneal the bullets......

A high quality tubing cutter and an Allen wrench in the HP to turn it????
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scott, right now I am assuming they were shooting accurately because of the success shooting the clay targets. And I am assuming I had the velocity that I wanted.

What does puzzle me somewhat is the 50-325 are slightly smaller in diameter than are the 275's either the XPB's or the Expanders, because of this even with the knurling they really fit loose. I was not concerned that they would come off the load unless I jarred the rifle pretty heavily.

Anyway I was really surprised that it appears that I did get stabilization with the bullets actually both of them.

I would say that at this point - I would hunt with them but more testing would be required. The other problem is I really do prefer the conventional sabot/bullet. The reason I even got this bug was that Idaho requires a full bore lead conical for ML season. I am hoping at some in the near future that Idaho will loosen a bit and continue to require full bore, but because of the impending 'lead ban' controversy they might allow bullets like the Thor or FPB. I think that might happen before they allow a sabot/projectile again.

I am hoping and thinking the Lehigh might be just slightly larger than the Barnes and not require knurling at all...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was mainly referring to the brass Lehigh 50-325s. Those are probably going to be a big challenge sabotless. Pure copper is more forgiving than alloys or brass and bullets like the Parkers BEs are about as easy as they get. The pure lead core and thin jacket responds well in this application. I think Nosler still uses pure lead cores in their sporting handgun line. I have some 250gr HPs i will be trying next.

I also prefer sabots in my ULA 50cal. It shoots well with reasonable loading effort. My Elite 45 loads ok too with sabots and shoots fine.

The Pacnor 45 and DISC 45 though will likely move to sabotless and i will buy a adjustable die to keep it as convenient as possible.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gm54-120

Just got off the phone with Lehigh Dave, he is going to send me a handful of the 325's and handful of the 350's made for pistols...

a1smokepole was a head of me on that one - the non-ml 350's have got my interest...

I want to see how they fit in the Knight bores...

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now those might just work if you can load them and get some engraving on the bands.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Now those might just work if you can load them and get some engraving on the bands.
I am really hoping!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gm54-120

Just got off the phone with Lehigh Dave, he is going to send me a handful of the 325's and handful of the 350's made for pistols...

a1smokepole was a head of me on that one - the non-ml 350's have got my interest...

I want to see how they fit in the Knight bores...
This was the bullet I was talking about and being .950 in length and velocity of 1200 to 2600 fps my work if they fit wright.

Last edited by a1smokepole; 08-04-2013 at 08:04 PM.