Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did some sightng in today

Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Did some sightng in today

Well I got the .50 GM LRH sighted in. I took the T/C tang sight off the .45 Hawken GM LRH and put it on the .50 Renegade GM LRH tang. I picked a load of 80 gr of FFg (Goex) and the 300 gr XTP with Harvester green CR sabot. This is a tight bullet for this bore and takes a bit of muscle to get down over the charge. But it shot great. At 50 yds after getting it sighted in I put 3 into a 1" group with the first 2 bullets going through virtually the same hole.
Then I brought the .45 out. This now is the only muzzy without either a scope (inlines) or a peep sight. At least for now. Using the fiber optic sights supplied by GM I managed to get it sighted in and shot about a 1 1/2" group at .50 yds in the bull. This rifle shot a lot better with the peep. So I guess I will be getting a Lyman 57 for it shortly.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting Bronko. I am a happy camper also I just switched barrels back and forth from the 270 to the 50 caliber muzzle loader and they both hold there POI right where it was, I do like the Endeavor Encore. Now I need to find an LRH barrel for the 45 Hawken.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you really have them tuned in. Way to go.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

What bullet/load in the .45 GM/LRH Bronko?

If you haven't tried the 180 grain XTP, you should.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

The .50 shot 80 gr of Goex FFg and a 300 gr XTP.
The .45s known most accurate load is 70 gr of Pyrodex P and a 200 gr XTP (10mm) using a Harvester light blue CR sabot.
BTW I did order the Lyman 57SML sight. I should have it by the end of the week.
Going to put the T/C sight back on the .45 Hawken and put the Lyman sight on the Rene. I don't like how high I had to extend the screw (elevation) on the T/C sight on the Rene.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Good shooting Bronko. I am a happy camper also I just switched barrels back and forth from the 270 to the 50 caliber muzzle loader and they both hold there POI right where it was, I do like the Endeavor Encore. Now I need to find an LRH barrel for the 45 Hawken.
Too bad I didn't know that Lemoyne. I saw one on Ebay not too long ago. It might still be there. Take a look.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't like how high I had to extend the screw (elevation) on the T/C sight on the Rene.
It's the same with the TC tang peep on my .58 GM barreled TC Hawken. It's as high as it will go and still grab threads. I worry about it sticking up like that, but haven't had any problem with it so far. It's a lot trimmer than the Lyman sight, but sight adjustment isn't nearly as user friendly.