Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic - The Good People Of America

Old 07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off Topic - The Good People Of America

Last week my wife and I returned from a 13 day car trip - New Orleans to Atlanta for a visit with her sister, then on to Berkley Michigan for a few days with my oldest son and his wife, then Western Michigan for a look at the big lake , on to Chicago, then the Badlands of South Dakota, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, and Custer State Park.

We met a lot of folks on the way - other tourists, restaurant servers, motel employees, etc. What struck me was how many good, cheerful and pleasant people there are out there. We did not have even one unpleasant encounter. Ended up late one evening in Sturgis with a 50's era mom & pop motel as the only lodging available. It was one of those single level rows of a dozen units with an A/C in every window and parking at the door. When we pulled up there was a group of biker dudes and chicks sitting around a picnic table drinking beer and eating pizza. Jeans/leather/beards/tattoos (no beards on the chicks). Turned out to be a great evening. What a fun group they were. There was one scruffy looking old boy who looked to be in his mid-70s, the kind of guy you would walk around with a lot of clearance if you met him an a sidewalk. Turned out to be from Louisiana and about talked my ear off. Wish I had thought to get a picture of him with my wife.

The thing is, with all of the crud you see in the news, on degenerate TV shows with the lowest moral standards, and lowlifes in the entertainment industry, sports and politics, you wonder if America is going down the crapper. I'm happy to report that there are an awful lot of good people out there. Maybe we will survive.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
Last week my wife and I returned from a 13 day car trip - New Orleans to Atlanta for a visit with her sister, then on to Berkley Michigan for a few days with my oldest son and his wife, then Western Michigan for a look at the big lake , on to Chicago, then the Badlands of South Dakota, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, and Custer State Park.

We met a lot of folks on the way - other tourists, restaurant servers, motel employees, etc. What struck me was how many good, cheerful and pleasant people there are out there. We did not have even one unpleasant encounter. Ended up late one evening in Sturgis with a 50's era mom & pop motel as the only lodging available. It was one of those single level rows of a dozen units with an A/C in every window and parking at the door. When we pulled up there was a group of biker dudes and chicks sitting around a picnic table drinking beer and eating pizza. Jeans/leather/beards/tattoos (no beards on the chicks). Turned out to be a great evening. What a fun group they were. There was one scruffy looking old boy who looked to be in his mid-70s, the kind of guy you would walk around with a lot of clearance if you met him an a sidewalk. Turned out to be from Louisiana and about talked my ear off. Wish I had thought to get a picture of him with my wife.

The thing is, with all of the crud you see in the news, on degenerate TV shows with the lowest moral standards, and lowlifes in the entertainment industry, sports and politics, you wonder if America is going down the crapper. I'm happy to report that there are an awful lot of good people out there. Maybe we will survive.
If you were at mt Rushmore in SD why didn't you come by for a visit . We could have done some shooting

Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you were at mt Rushmore in SD why didn't you come by for a visit . We could have done some shooting.
I did it out of kindness Sharpsshooter. Didn't want to stupefy you with my outstanding ability. No sense in having the kids lose their respect for the old man.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi,

We tend to "gravitate" toward our own kind. I have met people from all over this once great nation of ours and good people are just that...good people. Another thing that I have always found to hold true is that "country is country" no matter what color dirt you stand on. We all have the same basic concept of what's right or wrong and what we need to believe in.

BPS
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I did it out of kindness Sharpsshooter. Didn't want to stupefy you with my outstanding ability. No sense in having the kids lose their respect for the old man.
Oh ok . I got you. Still, it would have been fun . I might even have let you shoot one of my safe queens .

Old 07-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome home Semi. Sounds like you had a great time. I plan on doing the same thing next summer.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semi...I agree 100%...

Now, I wish our Government would listen to us!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Imagine them badlands didn't remind you much of home.............................

Just drew a doe tag for the hills NW of Sturgis, so that is where i will be this November.

..............................I'm happy to report that there are an awful lot of good people out there..............
Yup!!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Right after I retired, I traveled a lot!!! All over the United States. And I have to agree, 99% of the people I encountered were just great people to meet. Now don't get me wrong, if you go looking for trouble you can find it. But I found if I am honest and open to people, and treat them in a kind manner, it usually always comes back to me.

That is a lot of traveling. I bet your glad to be home. I know I always am after a travel. I don't call it a vacation because driving all over the country is no vacation to me. But I am glad you had such a great trip.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good People all over for sure. Glad you had a good trip Semi. Myself I always feel more comfortable if I stay out of the big cities but then I'm a country boy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.