Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad has got me sctatching

Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Certainly not disagreeing with your decision, but for me personally, it's been a long time since I've bought a gun that I couldn't hunt with. While I haven't hunted with all the guns I own, I know that if needed every gun I own (except a .22) is capable of providing food for me and the family. I guess it's just a quirk I have about guns. Personally I couldn't spend that kind of money on a gun and not be able to take it hunting.
Nor do I. Even my .22's are quite capable and have been hunted but it would seem counter productive to chase deer with a great big shiny gun. That was my thinking with getting a smaller caliber if I were to get the Lancaster all decked out. Still shoot it but not necessarily hunt it. Now the Tennessee in real nice wood and plain furnishings would hunt well without drawing undo attention.

Most dings I've put on my rifles other than my dogging guns has been going in and out of the safe or vehicles. Whenever I've fallen it was always Save the gun! Sacrifice the body.

HA
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I can understand why people worry about dinging up a gun when hunting. If you saw some of my old center fire rifles... they might shoot real good, but they look like they have been through the devil. All scratched and dinged. But some of my other rifles are pristine. When I value a gun, I can take care of it. One reason I have walking guns. These are the ones that get dropped in creeks, I fall out of trees with, fall off mountains slopes, you know, the average stuff.

When I think of dings on a weapon I always think of my father. He had purchased a Browning Lite 12 Auto 5 gauge shotgun. A true Belgium Browning. He he tells the story of how they were so poor, he paid $10.00 a month to Montgomery Wards Department Store until it was paid off. He now laughs about it, but said my mother about hung him when he came home with it. But he put meat on the table for the entire family with it.

My Dad loves this shotgun. It is his pride and joy. It was the fancy model with the gold trigger, ivory bead, and all the engraving on the receiver, etc. He was so proud of that shotgun. And also very careful with it. In all the years he hunted with it, he NEVER PERSONALLY put a ding or scratch in the shotgun. And then one afternoon, while they were pheasant hunting, all the guns were leaning against a fence. They were eating lunch. And one of the other hunters WITHOUT PERMISSION saw that fancy shotgun, walked over and picked it up. As this hunter examined it, he was bragging to everyone what a perfect shotgun it was. Then he set it back down, and it slid on the fence and fell, hitting a rock. There is one ding in that shotgun on the fore stock. My father is a very peaceful man, but the story goes, he was about to beat a man to death that day and actually had to be restrained until they could calm him down. I now have that shotgun in my collection and take as much pride in it as my father did.

I am sure Huntaway.. when he purchases his rifle ( you really need that rifle. So does Semisane need one) he will hunt with it, but like me.. I might hunt with the Lancaster but not take it into places that I know would damage it in any way. There is hunting, and then there is hard hunting. That's what my Knight LK rifles are for. Or my White Bison...
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I can understand why people worry about dinging up a gun when hunting. If you saw some of my old center fire rifles... they might shoot real good, but they look like they have been through the devil. All scratched and dinged. But some of my other rifles are pristine. When I value a gun, I can take care of it. One reason I have walking guns. These are the ones that get dropped in creeks, I fall out of trees with, fall off mountains slopes, you know, the average stuff.

When I think of dings on a weapon I always think of my father. He had purchased a Browning Lite 12 Auto 5 gauge shotgun. A true Belgium Browning. He he tells the story of how they were so poor, he paid $10.00 a month to Montgomery Wards Department Store until it was paid off. He now laughs about it, but said my mother about hung him when he came home with it. But he put meat on the table for the entire family with it.

My Dad loves this shotgun. It is his pride and joy. It was the fancy model with the gold trigger, ivory bead, and all the engraving on the receiver, etc. He was so proud of that shotgun. And also very careful with it. In all the years he hunted with it, he NEVER PERSONALLY put a ding or scratch in the shotgun. And then one afternoon, while they were pheasant hunting, all the guns were leaning against a fence. They were eating lunch. And one of the other hunters WITHOUT PERMISSION saw that fancy shotgun, walked over and picked it up. As this hunter examined it, he was bragging to everyone what a perfect shotgun it was. Then he set it back down, and it slid on the fence and fell, hitting a rock. There is one ding in that shotgun on the fore stock. My father is a very peaceful man, but the story goes, he was about to beat a man to death that day and actually had to be restrained until they could calm him down. I now have that shotgun in my collection and take as much pride in it as my father did.

I am sure Huntaway.. when he purchases his rifle ( you really need that rifle. So does Semisane need one) he will hunt with it, but like me.. I might hunt with the Lancaster but not take it into places that I know would damage it in any way. There is hunting, and then there is hard hunting. That's what my Knight LK rifles are for. Or my White Bison...
Yep. Well put Dave. I sent them an email requesting a quotation.

HA