Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Western Legal - Knight Ultra-Lite

Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Western Legal - Knight Ultra-Lite

It is going to happen... finally! I have been waiting for several weeks for Knight to make a modification to the Ultra-Lite that I ordered. I really wanted this light weight gun for hunting here in the west.

Because of our ML rules I have to use open sights and cap ignition during the ML portion of the hunting season.

During the regular rifle season I can convert it back to a modern inline rifle with a scope and 209 ignition. While it will never replace the velocity, range, and energy that my Tikka Lite 300 Win Mag has, it's weight and looks are very comparable.

Knight has heavily contoured the barrel to rival the contour of a centerfire barrel and taken the heavy composite or laminate stock off and offered a realy strong Kevlar stock with aluminum internal bedding. Dropping the weight of the rifle to near 6#'s.

I would really like to share more but I have to wiat for the dang mail system to get the rifle here - but more will come later...

Another thought that comes to mind also is that with the developemnt of the Western Ultra-Lite it will also be possible to make the regular Mountaineer into a Western Legal rifle...

I know this whole thing is not all that important to the majority of ML hunters and shooters out the - but for us in the Pac Northwest - Great.

I know it is expensive in a lot of peoples minds, but for me it is well worth the investment. It is a lifetime, versitile, do everything gun. And really less expensive tha most of my centerfire rifles.

Yep!!! I am excited...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
1874sharpsshooter

That is great news . I'm glad to hear it . Look forward to a range report when it arrives

Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Always wondered what it took to get a Sabotloader excited.

What could be better than one more happy person in the world.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks nice that's for sure. I'm very curious on your range report. Something like that might still be in future for next year.
I look forward to your review/range report.
Congrats on the new gun!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader I don't see it on their website so I will ask here. Does it take no.11 caps or 209 primers? The caps would make it a T7 shooting machine.

Also I would assume you could by the bolt and breech plug to convert the existing UtraLite.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
Sabotloader I don't see it on their website so I will ask here. Does it take no.11 caps or 209 primers? The caps would make it a T7 shooting machine.

Also I would assume you could by the bolt and breech plug to convert the existing UtraLite.
Mine started as a special request, but then there has been enough folks asking about it - Knight has made the move to make the option available. At this time the option is not available from the online dealers so you do have to go through Knight. And it will probably take a phone call to them.

It will handle either #11 or Musket caps. This is a picture of the some plugs. The NFPJ Mountaineer plug on the left and a couple of Western Plugs on the right

This picture shows the installation in my regular Mountaineer with a Western Bolt (same bolt as the Extreme) bolt is forward but not rotated closed.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have an older bighorn that uses either musket or 11caps, it should be legal in your state. The gun is very accurate and doesn't seem very heavy to me. I also have a TC Greyhawk that is a very light weight gun.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by caplock
I have an older bighorn that uses either musket or 11caps, it should be legal in your state. The gun is very accurate and doesn't seem very heavy to me. I also have a TC Greyhawk that is a very light weight gun.
Correct they would could be legal in the Pac Northwest. I have 1 MK-85, 2 wolverines, 2 Big Horn and more than a 1/2 dozen Renegades - none of them are as versitile as the Ultra-Lite. Granted the MK and the Wolverines are light guns also, not as light as the Ultra-Lite and the Big Horns with the 26" barrels... not so much.

And again none of them are as versitile and none of them protect the breech as well as the Extreme, Mountaineer, or the Ultra-Lite.

Caps can not fall off and debris or even snow can not easily get in the breech area. And from a safety standpoint I like the ide that pieces of the caps or blowback material - like heat and gas are directed all on one direction - out of the breech

All of the guns you have mentioned and I mentioned a good rifles - I just believe the Ultra-Lite is the best of the pack for the hunting that I do...

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-10-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The wait is a killer isnt it.