Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Value of a Rest

Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Value of a Rest

I don't know about you guys but to me, I find a good rest indispensible. It doesn't take much to prove it.

Take todays offering.

Here is a five shot group at 30 yards off a rest.

Here's a 5 shot group at 50 yds.

and finally here's a 3 shot group Standing Off Hand at 50 yds.

Yep, pretty obvious to me.

HA
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you a rest is very helpful. If I cannot use/find/rig-up a rest a hasty sling is better than nothing.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

There is little doubt that off a rest one normally shoots better. The more off hand one practices the better one gets. How many find under hunting stress shots they tend to pull them off, free hand?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more off hand one practices the better one gets.
Somewhere in my Internet travels I read of a fellow who uses a thin piece of plywood in place of a flint to practice follow-through shooting with his flintlock. This way he does not wear down his flints and frizzen practicing and he can practice in the house without the loud clack disturbing the family.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
There is little doubt that off a rest one normally shoots better. The more off hand one practices the better one gets. How many find under hunting stress shots they tend to pull them off, free hand?
The great thing about hunting is that the "spot" is a lot larger than a bullseye. On deer in any case. A little more critical on squirrell or bunnies though.

I always try to take a rest if I can.

HA
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shootin HA. I agree, a rest is best when possible. I probably use one 90% of the time these days. I always try to use one.

BTW, your 50yd target offhand is pretty darn good if you ask me, especially with open sights. I know guys that can't shoot that good WITH a rest and a SCOPE - and it ain't the gun...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

I always sight-in using a "rest" after that I mostly "free hand" it, then I only have myself to blame for a bad shot. However if I am going to shot a variety of guns I tend to use the "rest" more than I should. jmop

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do a lot of dogging when deer hunting. It's a rare day when you have time to to take a rest. Usually it's holy crap there's a deer, up and shoot. If you take any longer than that they're gone.

I always have a piece of string in my pocket. When sitting on a watch I grab a couple of sticks to tie together for a set of shooting sticks. String is lighter to carry than a set of shooting sticks.

HA
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If possible I always use a rest, normally when hunting Im in a stand with a good solid rest. But if on the way in or out I see something good I'll take a off hand shot if I feel good about it and cant get a sturdy rest. But 99% of my shots taken are with a good rest, and no I dont take a Nap while Im shooting
(BP)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
If possible I always use a rest, normally when hunting Im in a stand with a good solid rest. But if on the way in or out I see something good I'll take a off hand shot if I feel good about it and cant get a sturdy rest. But 99% of my shots taken are with a good rest, and no I dont take a Nap while Im shooting
(BP)
BP,

I've been known to have the odd nap out in the bush. It's so peacefull out there and when the Sun is beatin down on ya and you're out of the wind, well, it's inevitable.

HA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.