Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Thompson Center PTX Sabots

Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default T/C Thompson Center PTX Sabots

I found a good deal on these and i wanted to see if anyone has ever used them before. Well before i go buy a case of them LOL.

T/C Thompson Center PTX Sabots

Here's what it says about them on the internet.

Power tip express bullet with polycarbonate tip
6 serrations assure rapid expansion
Polycarbonate tip improves ballistic coefficient and prevents plugging during entry
Tapered jacket and interlock for controlled expansion at conventional and magnum velocities. For .50 cal. guns. 300 grain
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I purchased some PTX bullets a long time ago. As I remember, they were like a Hornady XTP but with a plastic nose. In a sabot. But I really can not remember too much about them. So they must not have impressed me too well. Can you post a picture or link to them?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Spike

yes here's the link i were i found them. for 6.99 for 30 bullets is a heck of a deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322497694
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

i can speak the the TC PTX bullet. That bullet was made especially for TC by Hornady. In 2003 i drew an elk permit. Planned on using the Hornady 300 grain .430 XTP bullet. Made a bad booboo and decided to use the 300 grain PTX bullet instead. That decision cost me a huge cow elk.

The range was about 75 yards. Five of us looked for that elk for many hours but the blood trail stopped and we never looked in the right place. That evening another hunter found that elk and took her out. Later talked with the man who found my elk. She had very small holes through the lungs: One lung was hit solidly; the bullet went through the edge of the other lung. The elk went well over one quarter mile after being hit.

My powder charge was 150 grains of Pyrodex RS. If a bullet does not expand when driven by 150 grains of Pyrodex RS its not going to expand.

Yeah, they're cheap. They are useful for target practice.

Last edited by falcon; 12-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Spike

Oh i c well i'm using the Hornady SST 300 grain bullets now and i love the way they preform and everything. but where i bought them at the last time has quit handling them for some reason.

So i have to find a other kind of bullet to use in my my little cousins muzzle loaders
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I used the 250gr PTX in the first muzzleloader I owned which was a TC Black Diamond XR. I shot about ten Deer with this round and it worked very well for me, always got a pass through with good expansion and great blood trails. Did not think they made them anymore, I never see them.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Spike

well i found them today on gun broker. he has over 700 of these and 800 of the 325 grain.