Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scopes

Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scopes

Not sure if this is where to post this or not bu here go's,
My old eyes are getting weak, & Mn does not allow the use of scopes during the Muzzleloading season EXCEPT: here is what the Regs say

• Only open and “peep” type sights (including those with fiber optic material) are legal during the muzzleloader deer season. Scopes, including holographic or “red dot” scopes, are not legal for this season, except for use of non-magnifying scopes by special permit for persons with medically verified visual impairments. A permit application is available by calling the DNR Information Center

Anyone know what a "non-magnifying" scope is, is that just the "Dot" type? Thanks Doc
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would be a 1X scope.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

1x scopes are made by a number of companies. Its amazing how much they help in the aiming department. I have a few of them laying around the house here, as Wisconsin used to allow them. But from reading your regulations.. you would need a doctors permit to have one.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It would be a 1X scope.
There are 1X power scopes out there and they really do help. Cayugad had a couple of them and he would be a good resource for information.

This might give you some additional information...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showt...zleloader-hunt
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year for the first time we can use non-magnified scopes during our muzzle loader season. When the game commission voted to allow non-magnified optics, immediately i mounted a 1X scope on my rifle. So far 2 deer have fallen with the help of the 1X scope. The scope allows me to shoot far more accurately than i was able, using iron sights. Shooting using a standard rear sight was virtually impossible, so i always used a peep sight. Not having to focus on the rear sight was very very helpful, but focusing on the front sight was so very difficult for me. Not having to squint so to see the front sight, is quite nice.

Using the 1X scope isn't near as nice as using a magnified scope. Sighting through the scope is kinda like looking through a straw. However, having the sight and the target at the same focal point is a very wonderful thing when one sees through old eyes. This year i have enjoyed the muzzle loader season far more than past seasons because of being able to see the sights.

In past years i have hunted the regular big game seasons using my muzzle loader. The reason i did, was because i could use a scope during the rifle season. Seeing the sights on the muzzle loader was great fun, so i used the muzzle loader, when i could have used a breech loader. Now that i can see the sights during muzzle loader season, i will probably use a breech loader during the regular big game season.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines, Thanks again Doc