Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stripped Screw

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stripped Screw

I stripped the heads of the 2 screws for the front scope base on my muzzleloader rifle. I bought a screw extractor to get them out but I'm afraid I will mess them up even more and really be, excuse the pun, screwed. Any suggestions before I give it a try or should I let a gunsmith do it?

Last edited by pluckit; 11-18-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I would have to take it to a gunsmith as I am not that good at fixing that kind of problem. The main thing is you got them out. So maybe the hole can be threaded again, and then new screws put in place.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

They are still in right? Proper replacements in hand,some non permanent thread loc or eq. And torque specs.? For replacement time.
With proper size extractor and pilot hole i tap with light force on top of extractor once to seat it,then use small adjustable wrench to turn it . This based on assumption of an easyout type extractor.
There are others somewhere designed to engage mangled screw heads .
With a dead center hole in screw head,sometimes drilling head of screw larger than screw diameter removes head and relieves tension on remaining screw but i suspect you,ll visit smith before then.
Good luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

drill to deep yer toast..i dont know if ya can do it with a regular easy out. not enough depth or width. i would say you might mess up the threads, or worse go too far through. these are the screws that hold the scope mount to the rifle?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i get this right your saying the head is stripped and the screws and base are still on the rifle. Drill the heads off and the base will com off. then use a set of vise grips and remove what is left of the screws. I have done this before no big deal. Ron
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

idahoron is right on the money, however, I would use something to hold the rifle still while I used a drill press to better control the drilling process.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had this happen once, I took my dremmel tool and cut a new place for the screwdriver to go in, it does'nt have to be perfect, just enough for it to fit. Then I have a small impact screw driver that I place in the new slot and hit the end of the screwdriver and it unscrews the old screw kinda just like a extractor, or just use a screwdriver. Oh and next time put some never seize or BP Grease on the screws.
Good Luck
(BP)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DROX
idahoron is right on the money, however, I would use something to hold the rifle still while I used a drill press to better control the drilling process.
Yes I should have added that. Good catch.
Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
.............................next time put some never seize or BP Grease on the screws.
Good Luck
(BP)
It seems to me that using blue loctite or some such, is a better solution here. One doesn't want these screws to ever vibrate loose. The blue will prevent them screw vibrating loose, and allow for their removal.