Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman's Drop In Barrel

Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I think it is probably this type of shot cup but am guessing as I do Front End Stuffing shot gunning.

But here is the link to a suggested shot cup.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/28-...s/products/91/

However it might have been a shot cup with the piston ~

I suggest to use the solid shot cup as using a shot cup as pictured above with the cushion or piston on the bottom one has a tendency to 'crush' them when using a ram rod which results in poor patterns.

And you need an "over the shot wad" too such as suggested by Lemoyne! Other wise if you tip the gun a bit yer Bb's drool out!

And if you are looking for Wads
The link has a huge selection some dry and some lubricated. For lubrication I just use crisco or bore butter.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/174/1

Typical Black Powdering shotgunning I use a over the powder wad - (is like a fiber board) which is lubricated then a shot cup or maybe not. But shot cups can help control the pattern and then a thin over the shot wad to prevent the shot from falling out. So down the barrel in thsi order goes ~ Powder, Wad, Shotcup, Shot, Thinner wad.

When playing around with my shotguns I use equal parts of powder to shot. So 80 grains of powder would be 80 grains of shot. From there I adjust up and down to develop a pattern and then try different ranges. I bet you can get at least 30 yards with good success.

On a side note though - I have never used a rifled ML to do this they all have been smooth bores.

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-30-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

For overshot wads, I use disks cut from those styrofoam clamshell takeout food containers. I punch them out with a two-inch section of plastic tube.