Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

End of PA's early ML season

Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default End of PA's early ML season

Had my .54 GM loaded for 8 days along with its companion Lyman Plains pistol. I didn't see anything worth shooting or legal to shoot (can only shoot anterless). I didn't want ot leave it loaded for over a month so today I took a quick trip to our range and set a target at 50 yds. I dropped down on one knee to fire the rifle, drew a bead on a 3" circle on a piece of cardboard. Rifle fired with no problem. I laid it on the tailgate of the pickup and walked up to about 25 yds of the target and I could see my first hole about 1" above the bull. Aimed the Plains pistol and fired. That ball hit about 1" to the left of the rifle. Darn - I really wanted to see what either of these would do to a big ol doe. Now I'm torn between the Accura and this rifle for antlered season.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the Accura
Bronco where are you in PA? Im on the lake erie shore about 40 miles from the PA line, I have'nt hunted PA in awhile now but we hunt Northeast when we do. I gave up because the deer heard seemed to go way down, how is it in your area? The guys's now come from PA here just to see a deer.
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm in Northumberland Co. About 60 miles No of Harrisburg. I am seeing more deer this year than the past couple years. But we have a lot of yotes - and they are smart. Also have a lot of bear in the area. I know of at least 4 different bear, (3 boar and 1 sow - and the saw has 2 cubs that I didn't count.)
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm in Northumberland Co. About 60 miles No of Harrisburg. I am seeing more deer this year than the past couple years. But we have a lot of yotes - and they are smart. Also have a lot of bear in the area. I know of at least 4 different bear, (3 boar and 1 sow - and the saw has 2 cubs that I didn't count.)
Sorry Bronko but as far as I've been is Northeast and the Erie Mall area, I have no clue where your at, how far from Erie PA?
Yotes, we have a Ton of them here, we shoot every one of them no good SOB's we see, and our Bear Population has really grown, somuch that they opened it in our area a couple of seasons ago. I've even seen 3 bear so far while sitting at my computer looking at our wood line out my window. The second day of our gun season 2 years ago I heard something crashing in the red brush in front of me about 30yds away and I heard a deer snort, I cocked back the hammer and got ready, out came a big doe, I figured a buck was on her tail. To my surprise about a 350lb black bear was after her, I could'nt shoot because we could'nt take a bear untill the first week of the opener was over. Now we can shoot em on opening day. So if anyone thinks bear dont go after adult deer there wrong.
So between the bear and the yotes the deer here have become very skittish here. Im thinking of taking my first bear this season if the opporitunity presents itself, I've never shot one so this may be a first. Who knows with Bow season still in full swing untill Nov 17th I just may get one with my bow.
(BP)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Sidelocks do have their own charm and lure. I mean inlines are nice. And if its meat in the freezer time, use anything you need to make that happen. After you have meat.. then you can play.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I will be using my new Accura MR and if successful, will have my TC big Boer .58 to out next. Had her at teh rane the other day and she was shooting both PRBs and Maxihunters nicely. I will be loading up the PRBs in it. I am pumped and can't wait for ML season to start (3 Nov.).