Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Front Stuffer Black Powder Shotgunners here?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Any Front Stuffer Black Powder Shotgunners here?

I was ever so lucky to purchase a White Thunder BG series 12 Ga Tominator I boguth from none other than 1874Sharpsshooter and to that I thank him greatly! Proud owner of a White Inline Black Powder Shot gun now.

I have dabbled with Muzzle loading shotguns for quite some time. Shot my 3rd turkey with my Great Grand Daddies 4 and a half tom side by side which bores to a 16 Ga. I was age 40 back then!
Retired that muzzle laoder for several reasons but use it during my Hunter Ed Classes. Clearly show what "Going Off Half Cocked" means as the left sear is well worn.

And I have taken most upland birds and ducks and geese using my Pedroselli 10 Ga side by side. But I can't get this Muzzle loader to pattern worth a darn for turkeys. So I have not used it and looked for an alternative.

Now I have it!!!!

So any of you Black Powder folks use a front end stuffer for a shotgun? If so, care to share your load or loads?

The 16 GA I used 90 grains of Pyrodex RS - 1/2 inch fiber greased wad, remington shotcup, and 1 1/2 oz # 6 copper plated shot, and then a over the shot card. Don't know what the chokes are - willing to bet MOD and FULL. It was a good 30 yard pattern. The turkey I shot with it mounted my hen decoy like it was riding one of the kids playground spring horses! It was crazy!

The Pedroselli 10 Ga I have , I do use both steel #3 and lead -#4. or #6 anywhere from 90 to 120 grains Pyrodex RS, 1/2" fiber greased wad , shot cup or maybe not - When not it is equal amounts of powder to shot, and then a over the shot card.

But I struggle developing a pattern for turkeys with this gun!

The White has removable Choke tubes! and Did come with an extended choke tube. So I have lots of experimenting to do. And could use some suggestions from this group.

Thanks for any help and I will be taking pics as I develope a load or loads! It will be my Turkey Gun this spring and even this fall for sure.........

Dave.......JW
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

100 grains of powder. I suggest APP if you want to shoot it a lot. Then you don't have to swab it. If you want to pattern it and hunt with it, Pyrodex RS is a good powder. So 80-100 grains of powder is plenty. Since you want to shoot turkey... I use a 3-1/2 inch straight and rather solid looking shot cup on top of that powder. Then an equal measure of shot. I use a mix of 5&6 shot. Then I use two over the shot cards to hold it all together. Mine is a Knight TK2000 12 gauge. The TK stands for technical knockout because that thing is going to kick you so hard I guarantee it will get your attention.