Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wouldn't You Know It..... Just my Luck

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Wouldn't You Know It..... Just my Luck

Headed to the rock pit this morining to do one final check on the Mountaineer with the new to me but old Lehigh .458-305 grain bullet.

Remember last week I also took my turkey gun along to pattern it after installing new vent rib turkey sights...

Well... as you approach the Rock Pit to shoot the first thing you do from about 100 yards is try to look over the burm to see if someone might already be there which puts you out luck - kinda a wasted drive.... Well I get to where I can see and it looks empty - hooray for me....

So I contiue to drive to the burm turn the truck in behind the burm looking at the trash collecting in the east of the pit and to my surprise there is a turkey flying over the hood of the pickup and several more trying not to get ran over. I stopped the truck and feeling sorry for myself because I left the shot gun home.

Anyway 16 turkeys scaled the rock wall on the north edge of the pit. The were in no real hurry and kept looking back me which made things worse. Then I thought heck you have the camera this time get some pictures.

Well when I opened the door there was a bigger rush by the birds to get to the top of the wall. When I got out with the camera they were all posing on top of the wall but as soon as I brought the camera up to get a picture - they started dropping over the other side down to the river...

I could have shot the heck out of one bird - I know that!!! But I am stuck with my story and this....

A couple of little ones...

By the way the Mountianeer was on this morning with those new bullets. It is ready for November. Deer season starts the 10th but I hate hunting in shirt sleeves, camo shorts, and high top boots...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes you feel like a turkey, sometimes you don't.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you aloud to use a Muzzleloader on Turkeys in the fall time? We are in PA is why i ask. If you gut shoot one you wont waste any meet trust me.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Are you aloud to use a Muzzleloader on Turkeys in the fall time? We are in PA is why i ask. If you gut shoot one you wont waste any meet trust me.
No, we have to shoot them with a shotgun - otherwise I really would use the 45...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
No, we have to shoot them with a shotgun - otherwise I really would use the 45...
In the spring we must call them in and use a shotgun. Fall time we can use a Rifle and dont need to call them in. Really no challenge that way. I like to brake the group up in the fall and wait 30 minutes and call them back in. Thats a lot of fun.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I'm glad you reminded me cause turkey season opened here yesterday and we can use a muzzleloader or rifle . I saw a bunch of turkeys last trip out.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Too bad. It would have been nice to get one with your ML. But at least you have a fun experience seeing them.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Too bad. It would have been nice to get one with your ML. But at least you have a fun experience seeing them.
You are right it was fun to watch and even more comical was maybe 10 minute later the pooped out on the road behing me and the burm - and went trotting down the road...

The one consolation I have did not see any big Toms....
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That really stinks you can't kill them with a ML. I hang up the bow in Oct when turkey season comes in and start chasing them with a ML. 200g XTPs are excellent turkey medicine.