Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A disappointment and an All Right!!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A disappointment and an All Right!!

Today I spent the morning with some of the new molds I got in. I casted up a couple hundred .495 roundball out of a LEE mold. They look really good and they are for the Lyman rifles. So I was kind of excited to try them.

And since I had some time I casted up 50 more UC Short Mags. Both of them looked really good today. Even though the lead seemed really too hot for some reason.

The roundball diameter was .495 according to my digital caliper and they weighed 182.2 out of pure lead. I got out a Hornady factory made .495 ball and it measured .495 and weighed 182 so I think I was in the ball park here. The UC Short Mags again came out at 449-451 grains in weight.

I grabbed up the Lyman Great Plains Rifle 1-66 twist 50 caliber rifle and the roundball and some Schuetzen powder and headed outside. A forum member advised they got the best accuracy with 90 grains of 2f and a .495 ball and patch. So I set a target up at 40 yards and began to see what the rifle would do.

I was not real pleased with the accuracy. Because two would hit low, then one high, and then one so so.. you know what I mean. No consistency. More testing is needed I am sure.

But I felt like shooting still, so I grabbed a LK 93 off the shelf and brought that outside. I thought I'd grabbed the one with a 2.5x20mm scope but instead grabbed one with a 4x32 Simmons ProSport. The pro sports were on sale for $19.99 once, and I purchased three of them. So far they seem to be tough as nails.

The little Knight LK has a 1-28 twist and a 22 inch barrel. It still uses a #11 cap ignition and it works so well I never saw the need to change it.

I then still had the roundball on the bench and had taken out some of the UC short mags. So I started iswth the roundball. I'd shot this rifle with .490 ball before and it was real accuate 50 grains so I kicked it up to 70 grains. It still grouped them rather well. The low hit was off a clean barrel. The others touching was on a fouled barrel. So it was behaving very nice to me today. But I came to shoot BIG LEAD!!

Then I swabbed the barrel and started shooting the UC Short Mags with 70 grains of 2f Schuetzen. That group around the bull was all I need to see to make me realize I had a winning combination here for my little tree rifle. This will do real good out in the woods.

So while the Lyman Great Plains rifle was a bit of a disappointment today, the Knight made me feel All Right!!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That Knight rifle shoots good.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

The UCs are shooting good. I'd drop down to 80 gr with the PRB in the GPR and see what happens.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
1874sharpsshooter

That looks like some good shooting to me. That Knight ought to get hunted with this season for sure. It deserves the opportunity after shooting like that for you.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave has so many rifles I don't think he knows which one he is going to take until the night before (or the morning of).
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Spike

I would try backing that 90gr charge down abit(80?) and add a over powdwer wad.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I will give that a try then. An over the powder wad card, and 80 grains. Should I use 2f or 3f?

That little Knight will get a day to play for sure. But I really want to shoot a deer with one of my flintlocks. I wanted to get the Great Plains Hunter set up to shoot. 50 yards is all I need.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I finally found my Knight 50 caliber LK-93 (I thought it was an LK-II) with the 2.5x20mm Simmons Scope. I wanted to see if it would shoot roundball. I decided since the other shot so well with 70 grains I would use that in this rifle also. I was shooting 2f Schuetzen Black Powder, swabbing between shots, pillow tick patching, and moosemilk as the lube. Well I was pleased to discover that this thing really shoots roundball well. Although I had the homecast bullets in .495 diameter bring used, and a couple of them for some reason leaded really hard. But I can not say that is the low hit. As I was not walking up there each and every time.

Now granted this is 43 yards. But for where I hunt these rifles, that is a long shot. I have never had to shoot that far out of the stand I use these rifles in.

That hole in the center is roundball. The ones up high marked in blue are the conicals. For some reason are 450 UC Short Mags with a felt wad shot high. I was going to shoot more but the football game was going to start and I had a rifle to clean.