Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Antelope story

Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Another Antelope story

only this one has a better ending, for me at least. The smokepole did what the bow couldn't. It was actually a rather quick hunt, but I have the pleasure of helping the wife get hers now.
We left the house at 6:30 and I had him in the fridge at 7:30.
He isn't the biggest one around but he had my name written on him.
The shot was 207 yards. He was facing me . I waited and waited but unlike deer they don't usually turn. If they turn it's to take off at high speed, so I decided to go ahead with frontal shot right between the legs. i was prone with a gun mounted bipod so it was a very steady rest. I pulled the trigger and he only went 8 yards. I stepped it off. He fell over kicked twice and was dead. The bullet entered exactly where i was aiming and came out behind the front leg. The entire chest cavity was destroyed. The energy and damage must have been extreme to allow him to only make it 8 yards before he expired. I quartered him, put him in the fridge and took off again to help the wife. We did find 2 bucks and she could have had a very nice one, bigger than mine, but another hunter drove up toward us and spooked them off before she could work her way close enough. The the guy gets out and shoots one of the doe from the hood of his truck. We decided to hunt somewhere else. besides the season is young. I have a doe tag and she has a buck and doe tag yet so hopefully I will get the opportunity to post another picure or two in the days ahead.

Knight Disc 45 cal 1:20 twist
110 gr Blackhorn
winchester primer
230 gr bullet
Omega 3X9 bdc 300 scope.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations
Old 09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on a heck of an animal and a great shot!!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on a nice antelope and a great shot.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go!!! What was your load? Ron
Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

SharpShooter...

Well i guess that experiance shows how good that new bullet is... Would you use that bullet again in the future? Well not that bullet but one like it...

Oh ya! congrats on the shot and the harvest... but I think it demonstrates what I have suggested all along that a good hunting bullet should do...

my thinking...

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs. The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long. I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:57 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by idahoron
Way to go!!! What was your load? Ron
110 gr blackhorn

Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SharpShooter...

Well i guess that experiance shows how good that new bullet is... Would you use that bullet again in the future? Well not that bullet but one like it...

Oh ya! congrats on the shot and the harvest... but I think it demonstrates what I have suggested all along that a good hunting bullet should do...

my thinking...

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs. The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long. I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.
It sure did the job. I plan on using it for my doe antelope and a couple of deer just to see how it does again. I was pleased this time for sure

Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's away Chet! My best shot today was about 420 yard. My rifle is still loaded, and clean.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:30 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
That's away Chet! My best shot today was about 420 yard. My rifle is still loaded, and clean.
Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing a pic of yours Ron when you get him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.