Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Antelope story

Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Spike

Glad you got him. Mighty fine shot!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats!!! I hope things go well for my group tomorrow!! Nice goat!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Congrats!!! I hope things go well for my group tomorrow!! Nice goat!!!!
Good luck . Hope you get one. Wyoming has some nice goats compared to south Dakota

Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, nice goat.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the nice 'lope......
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing a pic of yours Ron when you get him.
The draw gave me second choice, which was 2 doe tag, so you will not see a photo of a buck this year. This morning i spotted a lone goat out about 2 mile off the county road. It seemed to me it would be a buck. Too far away to tell with binocular. It was the only critter i saw, so i thought even though it probably was a buck, i maybe could luck out and have it lead me to a herd.

The truck was used to close the distance some by using a two track trail. Then i set out on foot even though i little clue where the goat could be. The country didn't seem right for what i was glassing off the county road, but i needed a hike anyway. As i walked things didn't seem right, but i continued. After about a mile hike, of a sudden i stumbled right onto that goat bedded. Sure enough he was a buck; he wasn't a trophy. I glassed and glassed all around, but saw no other critter. He saw me and stood; i ranged him at 402 yard. After standing there facing each other for perhaps 2 minute, i walked toward him, until it seemed close enough for a shot. He ranged at 333 yard; i pulled the primer, and set the rifle on the bipod for a 'coup' shot. Three, then four times i pulled the trigger on him. I wasn't able to hold the cross hair steady on him. A standing shot at 333 yard using a bipod is not something i can do.

I decided to walk toward where i hoped there might be a herd with doe, hoping this would make him run the opposite direction. That didn't work; he ran exactly where i didn't want him to. A very brief time later i stopped, and glassed where he ran off to. He was by now out 1/2 mile. I was astounded once again, at how quickly them pronghorn can cover ground when only at a lope. At least i now knew there were no other goats in the area. For some silly reason i walked about 3/4 mile to the ridge he crossed, and glassed looking for more critter. Nothing did i see.

I came back to the truck; the gps say i walked 4 1/2 mile. That was enough. I am home now.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The draw gave me second choice, which was 2 doe tag, so you will not see a photo of a buck this year. This morning i spotted a lone goat out about 2 mile off the county road. It seemed to me it would be a buck. Too far away to tell with binocular. It was the only critter i saw, so i thought even though it probably was a buck, i maybe could luck out and have it lead me to a herd.

The truck was used to close the distance some by using a two track trail. Then i set out on foot even though i little clue where the goat could be. The country didn't seem right for what i was glassing off the county road, but i needed a hike anyway. As i walked things didn't seem right, but i continued. After about a mile hike, of a sudden i stumbled right onto that goat bedded. Sure enough he was a buck; he wasn't a trophy. I glassed and glassed all around, but saw no other critter. He saw me and stood; i ranged him at 402 yard. After standing there facing each other for perhaps 2 minute, i walked toward him, until it seemed close enough for a shot. He ranged at 333 yard; i pulled the primer, and set the rifle on the bipod for a 'coup' shot. Three, then four times i pulled the trigger on him. I wasn't able to hold the cross hair steady on him. A standing shot at 333 yard using a bipod is not something i can do.

I decided to walk toward where i hoped there might be a herd with doe, hoping this would make him run the opposite direction. That didn't work; he ran exactly where i didn't want him to. A very brief time later i stopped, and glassed where he ran off to. He was by now out 1/2 mile. I was astounded once again, at how quickly them pronghorn can cover ground when only at a lope. At least i now knew there were no other goats in the area. For some silly reason i walked about 3/4 mile to the ridge he crossed, and glassed looking for more critter. Nothing did i see.

I came back to the truck; the gps say i walked 4 1/2 mile. That was enough. I am home now.
Good luck. if you by chance don't find anything then you are welcome to drop by and I can show you a few in this area .I still have to take the wife and Josiah to get theirs then you can have the rest,

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

But............................yer place isn't in Fall River County. Also, you need to save the rest for seed. Ironically most of the goats i was seeing ran over onto the Pine Ridge.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
But............................yer place isn't in Fall River County. Also, you need to save the rest for seed. Ironically most of the goats i was seeing ran over onto the Pine Ridge.
Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking about the fact that you might have tags for a different area, duh!! Well good luck then in Fall River . And for the first time in 6 years I didn't draw a refuge tag so i won't be hunting the refuge except with bow. No muzzleloader this year there for me.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Hey congrats SS, I was hoping for a 300-400 yard shot though..I guess a 200 will do just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.