Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bummer!! man I can not believe it. Hunt story with pics

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Bummer!! man I can not believe it. Hunt story with pics

Y This is another Antelope story. I wish it had a better ending. I had decided after my last failed stalk yesterday that I was going to wait til saturday and let my muzzleloader do what my bow hadn't been able to do. But I always tell the kids not to give up. That you got to persevere . If you blow it 10 times try an 11th time. So about 2 oclock I decided out of the blue that i was going to give it another try. So far I have failed about a dozen times. I don't like to sit in a blind over a water hole but I was thinking today that I should have done just that. Oh well. anyway back to the story. I grabbed my ghillie suit , threw it in a backpack along with my face paint, rangefinder and binoculars. Took the bow and jumped in the truck. There was a group of 5 doe and a nice buck 3 miles from the house and they were back at a dried up creek with some vegetation for crawling and even a few trees . I figured if they spotted me walking in then I would just go home. But if I made it to the back of the area then I would have a chance. Well they were laying up on a hill in the wide open spaces where they could see good. I was about 600 yards away at the spot where I headed in. I crossed the fence and they were watching. I started walking east away from them and around a ridge. Once I got behind the ridge I hightailed it to the dried up creek. Hunkered down and put on my camo suit and face paint. Then I started slowly working my way back west toward the area I figured they would move into when they got up.. I made it to a little draw that has some trees in it. here's a photo. It's not very big. about 25 feet by 40 feet.

I found me a spot then crawled up the hill on my belly and scanned the country. they had moved and were 150 yards straight south of me. I was lucky to have made it into the little trees. But I also couldn't go anywhere out of there for now. So I waited . about an hour and a half later they moved north east towards a stock tank. it is in the wide open and they were very nervous. This was when I was thinking I should have been in a blind at the water( but that's not my style) anyway,I had seen them move through a little opening in front of the trees I was in as they headed from water back to the wide open pasture so I though If I stayed where I was( not that I could leave without being busted) then I had a chance. Here's a pic with my spot , shooting lane and antelope marked. The trees I were behind were about 1 1/2 inches around, so I wasn't exactly hidden , just trying to blend in . The shooting lane was about 2 feet at the most.

Well sure enough they started moving toward me, nervous as all get out. but they slowly came. I was able to stand undetected. waiting and hardly breathing. the doe of course leading the way. They were at 35 yards . The buck staying a little back as usual. he was almost in position, if he would only turn slightly. I drew back as slow as I could but the movement of me drawing the bow or something spooked them and they ran behind the ridge. 35 yards, 35 stinking yards and I blew it. Well i belly crawled up the hill and peeked over. They were about 60 yards away standing and looking all around. I crawled back down. waited a while in case they calmed down, but evidently they didn't cause when I checked again they were long gone. Now I am done bow hunting antelope but I have decided he is the one I want with a muzzleloader.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 09-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you had a good time playing cat and mouse with those speedgoats!! He won't have a chance come Sat. Good luck with him!!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

sharpshooter

awesome adventure... trials and tribulations of why they call it 'hunting'
Old 09-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quit your dad-gum complaining Sharpsshooter. You're hunting - I'm not. You can shoot any time you want by walking out back - I can't. You're handsome - I'm not. You get no sympathy from me fella. I'm pulling for the goats!

That aside, I enjoyed the read. Sometimes fun and frustration go hand in hand.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
Quit your dad-gum complaining Sharpsshooter. You're hunting - I'm not. You can shoot any time you want by walking out back - I can't. You're handsome - I'm not. You get no sympathy from me fella. I'm pulling for the goats!

All that may be true, especially number 3 but it's also obvious I can walk out my door and if an antelope is there I wont be able to get him with my bow . but thanks for reminding me how blessed I am .

Old 09-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane

Ditto ..................
Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Spike

Think how sweet it will be when you get that buck down on the ground!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds awesome. Sounds memorable. As Semi said, at least you are creating hunting memories this early in the year. With antelope. The only hunting memories I can create until November involve tree rats. Hmmmm...tree rats, or antelope? I've never even seen an antelope!
Attached Thumbnails Bummer!! man I can not believe it. Hunt story with pics-photo.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:55 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Sounds awesome. Sounds memorable. As Semi said, at least you are creating hunting memories this early in the year. With antelope. The only hunting memories I can create until November involve tree rats. Hmmmm...tree rats, or antelope? I've never even seen an antelope!
yummy looking but that don't look like a 32. cal muzzleloader which we all know is a real tree rat gun.. November is a long time off when you are waiting. That's when our Rifle deer season is also but at least in the mean time to hold me over I can hunt antelope, doe deer, grouse, and in a few days Turkey and pheasant or ducks, predators(coyote,fox,etc) and stuff like that. So I'm able to hang in there til deer rifle season. Hope you bag a good one.!!