Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope for muzzleloader

Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Spike

Default Scope for muzzleloader

Hello,

Just getting into muzzleloading and need a little advice, purchased a T/C impact with Leupold base and med. rings, looking into getting a descent scope, my hunting land only offers me a max. of 100 yard shots.

I dont want a BDC type reticle, dont figure I need it for 100 yard and under shots. I am a little confused with ML scopes though, would it be okay to get something like the new Redfield Revenge in a 2x7x34 for it? It is not listed as a ML scope, but rather a rifle scope and the parallax is set for 100 yards, is this going to affect anything with the ML?

I also found a refurbished nikon pro staff advertised as a shotgun scope with a plex reticle (2x7x32) it is a older model, which one would be a better optic for this rifle and my hunting yardage, both are almost same price.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Jacob_07
Hello,

Just getting into muzzleloading and need a little advice, purchased a T/C impact with Leupold base and med. rings, looking into getting a descent scope, my hunting land only offers me a max. of 100 yard shots.

I dont want a BDC type reticle, dont figure I need it for 100 yard and under shots. I am a little confused with ML scopes though, would it be okay to get something like the new Redfield Revenge in a 2x7x34 for it? It is not listed as a ML scope, but rather a rifle scope and the parallax is set for 100 yards, is this going to affect anything with the ML?

I also found a refurbished nikon pro staff advertised as a shotgun scope with a plex reticle (2x7x32) it is a older model, which one would be a better optic for this rifle and my hunting yardage, both are almost same price.

Thanks!
Between the 2 you mention I would go with the Nikon prostaff

Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Three of my muzzleloaders have Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm shotgun/muzzleloader scopes on them. The reason I went this route.. #1 was a personal recommendation for a competition shooter/gun store owner of the quality if the Pro Staff. #2 is the fact like you, I do not need a BDC. I need a scope that gathers light, and can be tuned down for up close shots. The nikon is a perfect woods scope. And it gathers light excellent and the glass is excellent. #3 was the cost. This was a quality scope at an affordable price. #4 Nikon warranty. Anything goes wrong, they fix it.

I have never purchased a Redfield for a muzzleloader, but have looked through them at stores. They seem like a nice clear scope. I was told that Redfield is now made by Leupold. Whether that is true, I can not say.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I am using a redfield 3x9x40 I replaced from one of my centerfire rifles. It is doing the job just fine. I haven't shot anything over 100 yds either. good luck
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not worry about getting a "muzzleloader" or "shotgun" scope. The parrallax difference with 50, 75 or 100 yds should not matter much. Rather, just get a decent scope with the power range, field of view, eye relief you want.

A fair amount of us on this board have the Simmons 4x32 ProDiamond, which is pretty decent out to 100yds and is hard to beat for the price. Do a search here.

I am personally a big fan of Vortex - the Diamondback line is in the same price range as the ProStaff and Redfield. Check them out. I would get either the 2-7 or 3-9, up to you.

There is a guy who does a lot of scope reviews on a sight called Optics Thoughts. Some good stuff to read here and here.

Last edited by hubby11; 09-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 2x7 Redfield Revenge it lasted about 2 weeks and the innards came loose. I had the same experience with a Swift and several other low priced brands now I buy only Nikon and Bushnell. If you are watching your money close right now I would recommend a middle of the line Bushnell or a Nikon shotgun scope if you can afford it a middle of the line Nikon.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Three of my muzzleloaders have Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm shotgun/muzzleloader scopes on them. The reason I went this route.. #1 was a personal recommendation for a competition shooter/gun store owner of the quality if the Pro Staff. #2 is the fact like you, I do not need a BDC. I need a scope that gathers light, and can be tuned down for up close shots. The nikon is a perfect woods scope. And it gathers light excellent and the glass is excellent. #3 was the cost. This was a quality scope at an affordable price. #4 Nikon warranty. Anything goes wrong, they fix it.

I have never purchased a Redfield for a muzzleloader, but have looked through them at stores. They seem like a nice clear scope. I was told that Redfield is now made by Leupold. Whether that is true, I can not say.
Yes, Leupold bought the Redfield name, and makes the Redfield scopes. It's sort of a VX-1 with a cheaper finish. (Not polished)
Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

While any modern rifle scope will work, if you have any sensitivity to recoil keep in mind the eye relief of the scope. I once purchased a Sightron S1 scope. It was an excellent glass, clarity, you name it. But before I purchased it I never thought of recoil and eye relief. I mounted it on an inline and every time I shot that rifle the recoil would bring the scope back and bump the bill of my ball cap. Needless to say, while it was not hitting me, it bothered the devil out of me. So much so in fact, I took the scope off and sold it. The Nikon has 3.75 inches of eye relief. I installed that on a large conical shooter and it never touched me. I decided that was the standard for eye relief. So if the scope don't match or exceed 3.75 inches, it don't go on my rifle.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive got 3 Redfield Revolution 2x7x33s and 2 are on hard kicking MLs with no problems. I think the Revenge is slightly cheaper but i haven't looked at them.

You can get a Burris Full Field II for close to the same price and its a bit nicer IMO. Natchez had the 3x9x40 on sale for $169 with a free Garmin GPS 2 weeks ago.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...S&src=exrbSrch
Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I normally use rifle scopes on my muzzle loaders and they work well. I normally shoot 100-130 yards so the 100 yard parallax of rifle scopes is perfect for me.

That said, if you are looking for something in that price range, I've used many of the scopes out there including Prostaffs and Monarchs, Redfield Revolutions, Bushnell Elite 3200s, Leupold VX-I and II's, and my opinion is the Burris FFII is the way to go. It blows the glass away in each of the above with the exception of the Bushnell Elite. However, it also seems really durable, and tracks well (this is where the Elites fall short. Unless you get a Tactical model they don't seem to track well.) Another great option would be the Vortex Diamondback or Viper.

That's not to say the other scopes are bad, and I still use them, but they are no where near the glass of the FFII, nor do they really have anything better about them. If the FFII and Vortexs weren't out there though, I'd certainly be recommending some of the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.