Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope for muzzleloader

Old 09-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Spike

As of this morning I believe that the rifle will be trying out a Redfield Revolution 2x7x32, but I am not a 100% on it.

The reviews all around the web are just to good on the Redfield revolution, plus everyone says if something was to happen to the optic leupold will get it fixed.

Alot of happy hunters and shooters with the redfield revolution.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had two of them. It's a nice scope for the money.

They were cheaper when I bought them. They're getting close to the price of a VX-1 now. I might kick in the extra and get that instead. Especially, since they upgraded the VX-1. It's like the old VX-2 now.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 09-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

One last thing to consider, be aware that you will often get a trade-off between eye relief and field of view. Eye relief is indeed important, but in general, the more eye relief, the narrower field of view.

For example, the Nikon Omega muzzleloader 3-9x scope is often touted as having the best eye relief, 5" throughout the power range. While this is good, the Omega also has one of the worst field of views at 100yds, something like 8-25 feet, depending on the power setting. Compare that to the Vortex Diamondback 3-9 which has an eye relief of a little less than 3.5" but a field of view at a 100yds of around 14-44 feet. The 2-7 Redfield Revolution has an eye relief of 3.7-4.2" and a field of view of 17.3-43.2' @ 100yds (pretty good IMO).

IMO, field of view is often overlooked. Especially in the type of hunting you describe, heavy brush with short ranges requiring a quick sight acquisition and shot, a wide field of view will likely help you get on target quicker. As always pick what is most important to you.

Last edited by hubby11; 09-09-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Spike

I am going with the Redfield, it gets great reviews from just about everywhere I have read, there is a few optics in its price range that are listed as being better and very well may be, but whenever I can buy an american made product that is quality I will.

I really appreciate everyones input and help!!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with the Redfield. I mentioned the Leupold VX-1, because it only $30 more, and a better scope.

Redfield was a good deal when they were $139. Now they raised the price of the Redfield and not the Leupold. I think Redfield was taking too many sales for the Leupold line, and they raised the price.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, in my opinion the Redfield was an okay scope at it's old price. At the new price, I wouldn't even consider it. Optically, tracking wise, etc, it doesn't even come close to competing with many of the scopes in it's price range. I'm not a huge fan of the VX-1 line either, but I'd definitely get it over the Redfield. You can still get a lot more scope for the money from another manufacturer, but it wont be made in the USA like the Redfield and VX-1.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wasn't fond of the old VX-1, but the VX-2 wasn't bad.

Now for no increase in price the VX-1 is the old VX-2, and it's not bad. Click adjusters now too. It's fine for a muzzleloader, and a killer warranty.