Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope for muzzleloader

Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

You ought to look at the Vortex line. The Diamondback is a great scope and the optics are incredible. Their warranty is second to none in the business. Give them a look, I think you will be very impressed!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Spike

I have owned Redfield, Leupold, Weaver, and Burris scopes. I have no experience with Nikon scopes. By far the worst scope that I have ever bought was a Burris. I still have it. I sent it back to Burris and after repair it's still the worst scope that I have ever purchased. With the exception of the Burris all my rifles have Leupolds on them. I prefer Leupold scopes.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

By adding up all the + posts about Nikon id say I would buy one if Leupold/Redfield went out of business. Not saying Leupold is better because I have no experience with Nikon, but I can honestly say I recommend Leupold/Redfield. The Redfield line seems to be close if not identical to the Leupold VX-1 line, proven dependability with a good as you could ask for warranty/service.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Spike

Lot of things to look at in scopes these days. Objective lenses the size of a basketball. Tactical scope adjusters. Laser range finders. Range compensating cross hairs. Guess I am old fashioned. Give me a scope with a single cross hair that is crystal clear and is compact and light on my gun. The Leupold 3x9 compact is the best that I have found so far. I have three of them.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Spike

^^^^ what he said
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jacob, I hesitated to jump in on this one for fear the guys would say "there he goes again". But since Hubby already mentioned the Simmons 4X ProDiamond, I'll add that I have that scope on four muzzleloaders and a lever action carbine. For me it's the perfect scope for anything under 200 yards. My oldest one is five or six years old. I haven't managed to break one yet in several thousand rounds of shooting.

Best price is here: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...3&src=exrbSrch

Last edited by Semisane; 09-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Spike

I have read all of your post and I am going to do some research on all the scopes mentioned.

I do want to keep cost down below $200.00, there are a lot of choices out there.

Customer service does mean a lot to me and I hear Leupold/Redfield and Vortex have some of the best.

The area I deer hunt is thick with what I call under brush, green briers, grape vines, most of the other guys hunt the edge of the fields, I like to go deep in the woods and set up shop in a tree therefore my shots are a max. of 100 yards most bring under, 50-75 yards are realistic.

Thanks for all your replies!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think the Leupold or Vortex would be a wise choice. Optics are probably the most fragile piece of equipment you'll have and it is nice knowing that if anything goes wrong you have a company backing it with a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Spike

I love my Nikon Omega for hunting in wooded areas. 1.6x to 5x. The 1.6 is great for low light conditions just has legal hunting begins and ends and the 5x is nice for slightly longer shots when the lighting is better. I never hunt open grasslands and will probably never be offered a shot at more than 150 yards max max.

It has a long eye relief that was intended for Muzzleloaders but I'm not sure I really needed that on my Accura. I mounted it forward as much as my rings allowed because when shooting from a sitting position I hunch forward so much.

It comes with either a BDC or straight cross hairs type reticle.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jacob_07
I have read all of your post and I am going to do some research on all the scopes mentioned.

I do want to keep cost down below $200.00, there are a lot of choices out there.

Customer service does mean a lot to me and I hear Leupold/Redfield and Vortex have some of the best.

The area I deer hunt is thick with what I call under brush, green briers, grape vines, most of the other guys hunt the edge of the fields, I like to go deep in the woods and set up shop in a tree therefore my shots are a max. of 100 yards most bring under, 50-75 yards are realistic.

Thanks for all your replies!
My hunting style too. I leave the scope on 1.5X for sighting in, and hunting. Very quick acquisition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.