Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opener tomorrow

Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Opener tomorrow

For the kids that is. Mentor season begins for antlerless doe. The kids are excited and heading out today for one last practice session .
Then off tomorrow to see if they can provide some food for the larder.
They are shooting Knights with 80 gr triple 7 and a 250 gr bullet. Open sights. Of course I can only take one kid at a time .

Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the best of luck to them and you. I hope they do get a shot at something. Its always fun to see how excited young people get, when they have the opportunity to hunt and score.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sharpshooter...

Hope the kids see a couple of grreat ones during their hunt - Kids having fun nothing better...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck to y'all!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by flounder33
Good Luck to y'all!
Thanks everyone, I think they are ready. They only shoot at 50 yards so if I do my part they should be able to do their part. One had a 1 inch group and the other about a 2 inch group. Not bad for open sights . I will post some results if and when they harvest a doe

Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might mention that Linda and i hope they each get one.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
You might mention that Linda and i hope they each get one.
I will tell them, and hopefully we will see you on the Refuge hunt. I see they are about to do that draw. So we should have refuge and muzzleloader results soon.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Well the oldest boy ended his season within the first 2 hours. The first spot we set up there were 2 does and a baby managed to sneak up behind us. She was only about 8 yards away snorting and stomping. No chance for a shot. Kind of a bummer. We moved to a shelter belt and even though we spooked a bunch off while walking in it wasn't 5 minutes before a young one walked up real close. The shot was probably only 25 yards. She just fell over right on the spot. The bullet literally blew her off her feet. I forgot my phone which is my camera so no pictures. We got it home by 9 am and since the temperature was climbing we got busy getting it in the freezer rather than worry about pictures. He was happy but also I think he regretted his season ending so soon. He does have a mentor antelope tag though for sept 29 . And he always goes with me to help drag deer since poor old dad is getting weaker b
Now the next in line goes out this afternoon.
I will be eating steak for supper and jerky tomorrow

Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

How sweet it is!!