Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
zero issues with 416 SS rusting, even after hiking through a blizzard for 4 hours.
You probably cleaned your gun, like many of us do. But there are some out there who treat a muzzleloader like a smokeless rifle and think "oh stainless" and don't bother to take proper care of it. Since CVA sells to a lot of those new to blackpowder they might have thought the extra protection would be a plus , and the color adds to it overall look versus the stainless look. Just a guess on my part.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

i also test products on them as well. In 2 weeks of testing with a barrel sitting out through a handful of rain storms only the barrel lug had some rust spots on it. Hell i actually have a barrel outside thats blued, been sitting out there for close to 7 months and the rust isnt that bad, sure made it ugly but it would still perform.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
1874sharpsshooter

i also test products on them as well. In 2 weeks of testing with a barrel sitting out through a handful of rain storms only the barrel lug had some rust spots on it. Hell i actually have a barrel outside thats blued, been sitting out there for close to 7 months and the rust isnt that bad, sure made it ugly but it would still perform.
But those are treated with products you were testing, so it shows the effectiveness of Birchwood Casy but it also shows the rust on the 416 stainless In the bottom photo , whereas many think stainless won't rust.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

So why the coating then is my question. If that stuff chips, scratches, and whatnot it will look stupid. If they warranty the coating they may have created a headache for themselves when it could of been avoided by just not putting it on there. Time will tell for sure.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

those were untreated if i remember correctly. I have some other tests on my other computer that i never got to uploading.

Those that think SS won't rust, simply have the wrong notion... STAIN LESS. There is no miracle for stopping rust other than the owner being responsible for care to their product.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Devil, when you're finished playing with those barrels I need one for the underhammer build. Make me a deal.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

Yep Chad, more tests are needed to figure out what will happen with this coating. I love the color but if it doesnt hold up.... Whats the point. May as well just use spray paint.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Semisane
Devil, when you're finished playing with those barrels I need one for the underhammer build. Make me a deal.
LOL semi, if i knew what was wrong with the barrels i'd let you have a couple. The SS barrel as you can see what the hinge pin drilled wrong.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
1874sharpsshooter

those were untreated if i remember correctly. I have some other tests on my other computer that i never got to uploading.

Those that think SS won't rust, simply have the wrong notion... STAIN LESS. There is no miracle for stopping rust other than the owner being responsible for care to their product.
I pretty sure that was a Birchwood casey test . Go check your Powerbelt forum, I think it was on there.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to see the black MR myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.