Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep sight for Renegade?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
MH was right on the money.

sabotloader, Taking off some metal on the back is so easy and it makes a nicer looking mounting job. The Shim is a non invasive approach that not many guys try. I liked the outcome of that so much that I will probably do that on any that I fit from here on out. I am thinking about making a jig so the hand labor is not quite as intensive on the fitting. Ron

I am not sure of the reason for the shim under te sight. I did not need one for my application

I chose the wood removal in leiu of the metal as I really did not want to mark up the sight. And since i work with wood all the time (cabinet maker) it was certainly the easiet.

I still wonder if you order the SML for a TC would you have to do any of this extra work?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I am not sure of the reason for the shim under te sight. I did not need one for my application

I chose the wood removal in leiu of the metal as I really did not want to mark up the sight. And since i work with wood all the time (cabinet maker) it was certainly the easiet.

I still wonder if you order the SML for a TC would you have to do any of this extra work?
The shim allows for easy mounting without the need of stock alteration of any kind. It also will give a guy more elevation for long distance target shootiing.
In the pictures I have of mine you can't see the spot where I took off the metal to mount the sight at all. The only way to see where I took off the metal is to remove the sight and turn it over. Ron
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
"Even more so when I see the deer hit the ground."
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned

Basically you said ANYONE who takes wood off to fit the sight is an idiot.

After seeing both ways, the wood removal or the shim, I'd do the wood the removal, if thats the sight i were using.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

After seeing both ways, the wood removal or the shim, I'd do the wood the removal, if thats the sight i were using.
better yetsell the renegade and just get a Lyman GPR . Then it fits without doing anything. and my GPR is better than my renegade for sure.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

LOL dont temp me, i do love the GPR. I remember building one for one of my forum members and after i was finished, i held it and felt bad for having to send it back to the owner, came out purdy.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
better yetsell the renegade and just get a Lyman GPR . Then it fits without doing anything. and my GPR is better than my renegade for sure.
I can't believe I said to sell the Rene. Forgive me.

I meant get the Renegade and a Lyman GPR. then put the Lyman sight on the GPR. You will have the best of both worlds.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

At an age where the eyes don't accomodate well to open sights anymore, I absolutely LOVE peep sights. I wish I had switched to them even earlier on some of my open sighted guns. I have a T/C peep on a White Mountain Carbine which did not have enough vertical adjustment for the original front sight, but that was solved by installing a taller front sight. For me and my eyes, accuracy with peeps is excellent.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

I firmly believe you green horn, You would.

Ron
Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let it go Ron. I've seen you do this on more than this forum. Jon is just trying to be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.