Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GMB .45 caliber Stainless Steel

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default GMB .45 caliber Stainless Steel

Anyone that has a .45 caliber Green Mountain Barrel (mine is stainless) that fits the Renegade/Hawkins stock. What kind of loads have you found that work in it?

I was shooting mine today. The 200 grain XTP was doing well with 100 grains of Schuetzen 3f powder. Then I tried a Speer 180 grain Gold Dot and I have hand shotguns that held a better group.

I did find it likes powerbelts. But those are far to expensive to shoot for fun. So if you have that barrel and a load that works for you, give me a shout. Or else that barrel is going down the road.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I get pretty good groups with the 200 gr sst and the 185 gr lehigh and 110 gr 3f triple 7
I have the same stainless barrel

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

thanks... those 200 grain XTPs did pretty good with 100 grains of 3f black powder, but the moment I went to the Speer 180 grain, well I was shooting at 50 yards, and would be embarrassed to even post the picture of the target. I mean all over the place. Also when I was swabbing with Dish water, there was a fine gray dust in the bore. I'd seen a lot of fouling in my day, but never anything that fine and light gray. I am sure it was from the 3f black powder.

The load seemed to have real good power mind you. I could hear it hitting the steel trap back there and it was really clinking. And recoil was moderate. I mounted a Cabela's Powerhorn 3-10x40 scope on the barrel and wanted to maybe turn this into a very long range rifle. Kind of like what you and Ron do. So maybe I will have to get some of the SSTs and see how they do. I might have some around here anyway. I need to look closer at the bullet supplies.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Anyone that has a .45 caliber Green Mountain Barrel (mine is stainless) that fits the Renegade/Hawkins stock. What kind of loads have you found that work in it?

I was shooting mine today. The 200 grain XTP was doing well with 100 grains of Schuetzen 3f powder. Then I tried a Speer 180 grain Gold Dot and I have hand shotguns that held a better group.

I did find it likes powerbelts. But those are far to expensive to shoot for fun. So if you have that barrel and a load that works for you, give me a shout. Or else that barrel is going down the road.
Darn Dave, i shoot the 180 grain speer from my GM barrels with really good accuracy. I am shooting a hotter load though - 110 grains T7-2f...

Which sabot were you using? I shoot it with the MMP light tan and I know others shoot it with Harvesters. I just prefer the MMP as the polymere formulation is a little softer and forms to the lands and grooves really well.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are my three best loads at 100 yards with XTPs, Deep Curls, and Barnes.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Darn Dave, i shoot the 180 grain speer from my GM barrels with really good accuracy. I am shooting a hotter load though - 110 grains T7-2f...

Which sabot were you using? I shoot it with the MMP light tan and I know others shoot it with Harvesters. I just prefer the MMP as the polymere formulation is a little softer and forms to the lands and grooves really well.
The tan seemed to load very hard. The light blue loaded easier but still firm. I will try some 2f T7 next time.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane, I guessed that these should be pushed hard. But I will try some lighter charges. We're you shooting the light blue sabots? You killed a deer with one of them loads, did you not?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I killed two does with th 200 grain XTP load. One was a center chest shot at about 60 yards. It was a full pass through with lung tissue blown 10 feet behind the deer. Even so, she ran quite a way before dropping. The other was a high neck shot at about 80 yards. The bullet blew through the spine and exited. The deer didn't even quiver as it dropped on the spot.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane I see the sabot you shoot is a H4540B I am guessing the H is for Harvester, 45 is the caliber of the rifle, 40 is for the projectile and B might mean Blue? I looked at my Harvester Crushed Rib sabots that are blue in color. The code I read is H14540BR So I am GUESSING these are the same sabots you shoot.

Mike.. the tan MMP sabots list on them not to be pushed with more then 80 grains of powder in the paper handout that comes with the sabots. So amazing velocities are listed with a mere 80 grains of powder, so you pushing 110 grains of Triple Seven must be pushing them in (guessing) the 2200-2300 velocity area.. does that sound right.

Sharpshooter.. you must be getting some over the top velocities with that kind of powder charge and them 185 grain Lehigh bullets. What sabots do you normally shoot?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

The H14540BR are the crush ribs. The H4540B are smooth side.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.