Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GMB .45 caliber Stainless Steel

Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Stainless LRH barrel on the Hot Rod Hawken.

My load is 80 grains of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad and a 409 gr Paper Patched RCBS 11mm bullet. Sized at .446 after the patch is on.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

double post
Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Semisane I see the sabot you shoot is a H4540B I am guessing the H is for Harvester, 45 is the caliber of the rifle, 40 is for the projectile and B might mean Blue? I looked at my Harvester Crushed Rib sabots that are blue in color. The code I read is H14540BR So I am GUESSING these are the same sabots you shoot.

Mike.. the tan MMP sabots list on them not to be pushed with more then 80 grains of powder in the paper handout that comes with the sabots. So amazing velocities are listed with a mere 80 grains of powder, so you pushing 110 grains of Triple Seven must be pushing them in (guessing) the 2200-2300 velocity area.. does that sound right.

Sharpshooter.. you must be getting some over the top velocities with that kind of powder charge and them 185 grain Lehigh bullets. What sabots do you normally shoot?
The information provided by MMP is for the original Tan sabots, Del switched the tan sabot formulation to the HPH polymere several years ago -so it is a much stronger sabot.

The Harvester sabot always seem to look better after being shot but for myself in the cold weather the MMP seems to work better in the hot weather or loading on a hot barrel the harvesters seem to function better

You can see the differences in these pictures. These were shot with a Lehigh 40-200 grain on board and a 120 grains of T7-2f

Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I have a Stainless LRH barrel on the Hot Rod Hawken.

My load is 80 grains of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad and a 409 gr Paper Patched RCBS 11mm bullet. Sized at .446 after the patch is on.

Very nice looking bullet there. What kind of paper is that you're shooting? That would sure make a good hunting load. I have some .457 Lee that I cast, and I size them down to .451 for my White. I will have to try some of them in the GMB. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My paper is 9# onion skin. I went the route of sizing down .457's and .458's. They worked ok for my .458 but this rifle is .451 and those bullets just don't fly well out of this gun. These bullets are .446 and I patch them up. Ron