Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thor + BH209+ Encore

Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Spike

Default Thor + BH209+ Encore

I should have asked this before I bought the Acurra v2, but has anyone had succes with the Thor 300's with the Encore platform? I had such bad luck with Encores shooting conicals that I never thought to try the Thors. My Accura shoots Thors with precision and I do like it a LOT. Now I'm thinking about the T/C as a backup. Should I even try?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it didn't like conicals. A Thor is a conical.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Spike

I know, but I want it to shoot conicals so bad!!!

Actually, the Encore shoots FPBs okay, maybe better than the Accura. I didn't have much success with NEx's or Bullshops in either one. Thor's are working good in the Accura, but a backup gun would be really nice. I haven't found a single person who's had a good report on the Thor's, but I haven't found a bad one either...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it shoots FPB's. It might like Thors too. Very similar bullet.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

Thats easy! Buy a Bergara barrel for your encore.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i have never shot the Thor. My experience was using 500g conical. They wouldn't shoot in my Omega X7 worth a darn. At 47 yard 5 shots made a shotgun pattern. So.................i cut the QLA off. That made all the difference.

Then i gave the very same 500g conical a try at 100 yard. That group was about 2" if i recall correctly. Removing the QLA was quck and easy, and was done without any fancy tool. I suppose the correct way to do it would be to cut into the rifling, but i hoped i could leave about 1/16" of the QLA, and have that work; it did.

At any rate, it didn't cost me anything, and now my rifle shoots them conical. Semisane wrote a thread about removing the QLA, that i used as a reference. His technique of using the tubing cutter to mark the cut virtually insures the final result will be square. His job was far prettier than mine; i didn't take near the time he did, but i did end up with an accurate shooter.

My guess is the QLA is the problem with the Encore shooting conical, and removing it will result in your rifle being a good conical shooter. The Hornady FPB bullet shot pretty good, even with the QLA, so they may be another option.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Encore Endeavor will shoot FPB in a minute of angle only tried the Thor once to much trouble getting a good fit to expensive. The FPB work really good all I did to them was take out the breach plug and push them through the barrel to get the fit right so you can load quickly for hunting load and shoot. I use 90 grains of Blackhorn it shot so good I did not try anything else or any load I only use them where sabots are illegal. I try one batch of Thor after finding the size for my barrel [e-mail for a sample pack for sizes] and tried them with the same load they shot 2 inches at 100 yds not near as good as the FPB but hunting accuracy, might do better if I worked with them some.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C rifles will generally shoot conicals with a rear "bell skirt" on them pretty well. Examples: Powerbelts, FPBs and Thors. Worth trying. However, if you already have FPBs dialed in, that would be a great back up gun and load already