Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Englander and Patched Round Balls

Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Englander and Patched Round Balls

Today i shot the New Englander with prb. Had no pillow ticking so i improvised with cleaning patches.

Distance: 50 yards.
Gun: TC New Englander.50 caliber with Tupperware stock.
Wind: From right to left 10-15 mph gusting to 25 mph.

Powder: 90 grains of Goex 3F Pinnacle.
Bullet: Hornady round ball.
Cap: Winchester #11 magnum.

To my knowledge this is my first time loading and shooting prb since 1976. For all the boo boos it worked out pretty well. The sights on that gun are not the best so i put the bead at 6 o'clock. Had nothing to lube the patches so i loaded them dry. Fired five rounds and only one ball hit the target: The hole in the upper left corner. Swabbed the bore and got an idea; hand cleaner for patch lube. GoJo no less.

Fired five more rounds using patches lightly lubed with GoJo without swabbing. Two balls went through the hole in the 8 ring. The target backer is a plastic military target that self seals to some extent; there were two holes. Don't know what happened with the fourth shot that went low. Maybe i failed to trim the patch.

i lucked out today. Just maybe i'll hunt with patched round ball.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2531/dsc01363ol.jpg

Last edited by falcon; 08-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad for the patches & lube you used.

My NewEnglander has always been fairly good with RBs, but it likes Lee R.E.A.L.s even better.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a lanolin based hand cleaner and believe it or not, it works pretty good as a patch lube. And your hands are clean and soft at the end of the day. The new englander is fun to shoot.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

i shot one of mine last week 70gn pryrdex .490 and .018patch minkoil.....I hit 2 out of the first 4 targets in a woods walk mountian man event....one was a turkey head at 47 yards.....I never cleaned it 14 shots no hangfires just missed a bunch of targets...i like the new englanders