Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet and load recommendation for a deer hunting 13 year old.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Spike

Question Bullet and load recommendation for a deer hunting 13 year old.

My 16 year old just pointed out that when his brother hunts with us this year we will be one gun short. I usually talk myself up in gun a bit and have an AccuraV2 ( I said a bit ). 16 year old likes Grandpa's Hawken. I was thinking of buying a new CVA Wolf for the 13 year old.

I'd like to keep it just a little softer in recoil for him but in no way do I want an inferior load for the smaller white tails we have in Michigan.

What would be a good load and bullet for him for deer in that gun?

Last edited by temphank; 08-19-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL...I thought you had a 13 year old load in a gun.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Spike

I can see how it reads that way. Thanks, I fixed it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

As for a load. Pyrodex RS shoots softer in recoil than BH 209, or T7.

70-80gr with a 225gr-250gr bullet should feel pretty soft for him.

You also could try a shoulder recoil pad.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

The Hawken's recoil can be made very manageable. We had nine year olds shooting 70 grains of pyrodex rs and a patched ball with no problems. That load is 100 yards lethal. But if possible, try and get closer. Since I don't know the kind of hunting you do, be it close range in the woods or longer range, say field hunting, it's hard to tell you what might work best.

Are scopes legal? What is the ultimate shot you encounter? What l might suggest is, fuel his desire. If he wants to hunt with the Hawken rifle, encourage him. But also make him aware of the limitations of the bullet. Worse, should he hunt old school and get a deer, be ready for bragging rights.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
The Hawken's recoil can be made very manageable. We had nine year olds shooting 70 grains of pyrodex rs and a patched ball with no problems. That load is 100 yards lethal. But if possible, try and get closer. Since I don't know the kind of hunting you do, be it close range in the woods or longer range, say field hunting, it's hard to tell you what might work best.

Are scopes legal? What is the ultimate shot you encounter? What l might suggest is, fuel his desire. If he wants to hunt with the Hawken rifle, encourage him. But also make him aware of the limitations of the bullet. Worse, should he hunt old school and get a deer, be ready for bragging rights.
He's getting him a Wolf. So, no PRB.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Spike

Thanks

16 year old shoots the hawken and loves all forms of recoil, no problem there! Was looking for min acceptable load for 13 year old boy with the wolf or similar open sight gun. He isn't totally adverse to recoil but when we sight in and work up a load I wondered what would be minimum? We hunt in hard woods with 100 yards being the absolute max, more likely 50-60 yards.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

He's going to feel sighting it in more than the shots taken when hunting.

Maybe you could do most of the shooting at the range.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Let him practice with light loads, even 50-60grs. For hunting increase the charge, he'll never know the difference.

I did this with my 15 yr old daughter last season. She shot 80gr's pf BH209 and a 300 gr xtp, from my Triumph, to take her first deer. She doesn't remember pulling the trigger!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

In a CVA Wolf I would start him light loads. 240 grain XTP over 60 grains of Pyrodex RS. Then work him up from there. If the gun is satisfied with 80 grains and an XTP that would be a fine load. Many years ago, I helped a young shooter (at the request of his mother) to work up a load for his Wolf. We settled on 85 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 240 grain XTP. He shot a deer at 30 yards that year and knocked the snot out of it he said.

Out of my Knight LK rifles I shoot 85 grains of Black Powder and an XTP and feel that is a good deer load for here in Wisconsin. But in all fairness, I have yet to SHOOT a deer with that XTP. I only base my confidence on others reports.

Another choice IF LEGAL is a 40 caliber Shockwave. Some states have a .45 caliber requirement. You can shoot them in a 50 caliber of course, and because of the light weight the recoil should be diminished. Start with 70 grains. If that is accurate, while I would like to push a bullet that light faster, they do make .40 caliber 200 grain XTP hollow points that might work. I believe Semisane shot a deer with one. I know I read a report of someone shooting a 200 grain XTP and said it worked just fine on deer.

I am really glad to see more young people getting into hunting. The trend is just the opposite where I am living currently. They'd rather sit in front of a computer and battle tanks and zombies. Such a shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.