Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clearance Sale Omega

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Seems, i do recall you purchasing the exact same rifle i did. You sold your Mountaineer to do so i think. My clearance Omega does shoot straighter than my Mountaineer, and it is shorter, lighter, and not as pretty.
I did sell my Moutaineer before I bought my Omega; I agree that the Omega is more accurate and lighter. The build quality is no where near the Moutaineer, but I think that it makes up for it with it with it's ease of carry and cleaning. Great gun! The closest that I have ever been to completely content with a ML'er
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SHulion
Ron, what size o-ring is that and where did you get it. I want to give that a try in my Omega. Did you notice a big difference in blow back? How long do they usually last?
The o-ring used was long ago identified by Busta, and can be found on this page:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3490/=iuirh7

It is the one with the 4.5mm ID, # 9262K611

Using these o-ring results in zero blow back. The reason i use these o-ring, is because eventually all of the breech plugs in my rifles suffer flame cutting of the primer seat. This allows for more and more and more blow back. What is done then, is the flame cut is removed by drilling the primer seat deeper, by using a drill i have ground much flatter than standard. This makes the bottom of the primer pocket smooth again, but now the primer isn't long enough to make a seal. The o-ring replaces the drilled away steel with a flexible material that makes an excellent seal. Generally, the primer pocket is made about 0.020" deeper. The o-ring is about 0.040" thick. The o-ring being a tad thicker than the amount of material removed compresses to make a 'perfect' seal. Using these o-ring results in zero blow back.

My guess is you won't be able to use these o-ring in your Omega without somehow increasing the headspace. Either by unscrewing and shimming the firing pin bushing, or by drilling the primer pocket deeper. However, the CVA rifles i own can utilize these o-ring without doing any work.

A long range session for me is about 30 shots. The o-ring easily survives that many shots. A short range session might be 10 shots, after a short session the o-ring can be used again more than once. These o-ring seem to 'evaporate' as shots are taken. When they become 0.035" thick or less, i quit using them. I don't actually count how many shots they are good for, but i would guess about 50.

Myself, i like using these o-ring. Because they make a perfect seal, the primer seat will never again flame cut. The breech plug will last and last with no way for it to be damaged. The vent liner can be replaced when it wears after perhaps 200 shots, and the o-ring can be replaced every 30 shots or so. Cost of the o-ring is less than a nickel.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday, took the rifle out; shot at 25 yard and adjusted the 1X scope to the paper center. Then moved to 100 yard.

The first 2 shots hit right and low. The scope was adjusted left and up. Three more shots were taken. The scope was adjusted down 2 clicks, and the elevation dial was loosened removed and zeroed.

Today, the target was set at 200 yard, and 2 shots taken from a squeaky clean cold barrel, after the elevation dial was twisted up 5 1/2 moa.

After just 2 shots the wind started, so target shooting was ceased, however there was a cheezit box in the truck, so it was filled with water and set out at 220 yard. The elevation dial was raised another moa, and shots were taken at the box.

The first shot was high, so i guessed i was holding too high, and as much as possible held lower. The thing is, the cross hair of the one power scope completely obscured the box.

The second shot was low, and the box fell over. A trip was made to the box with more water; it was refilled and stood.

The third shot was low, but the box didn't fall over and held most of the water. The box did roll some, but stood.

The fourth shot hit low and right on the box, managed to empty the box, and ruined it's ability to hold water. Upon returning home a ballistic calculation was made for a 220 yard zero.

It appear my guesstimate of elevation setting was 1 click low.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 08-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

that is some great shooting for a 1x scope. I guess I am going to have to get some of them Gold Dot Speer 300 grain.. if they are ever in stock somewhere.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i usually purchase them bullet from Graf or Powder Valley. Right now they both appear to be out of stock.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you place a plastic bag inside the box, then fill the bag with water? The reason I ask is, I did that today with a cereal box. I put a plastic shopping bag in it, filled it with water and then became a cereal killer. It was an impressive geyser when that 300 grain XTP hit the box at 50 yards, DEAD CENTER. Actually if I was not such a big chicken, I would put my camera down there and just let it run and see if I could catch all that. You must have a remote on and off on your camera or else you burn off a lot of footage to get them geyser pictures on video.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

What i do is pour the water into the wax paper liner of them box. To make picture and video, i put the camera on a tripod, and set it for video, and start it. It say it will make 22 minute 12 second of video. Then i go to the place where the rifle is, knowing i have 20 minute or so to make a hit. Once in a while i run out of 'film'. Mostly, the box/jug is smucked before 20 minute goes by.

That is cool you hit the box dead center. That usually results in a great geyser! One reason i like to video the smuck of the box is so i can see what happens clearly. Usually i don't get to see the geyser when doing the shooting, but now and again i clearly see the bullet hit the box, and that is great fun.

The video is recorded onto an SD card. Yes indeed a lot of footage is taken. The Quicktime program is used to crop the video a way way smaller than what was taken blasting them box. To have the ability to shorten the video cost me money. The video and/or photo can be saved into my computer or erased. Either way, in the morning, when i head out to shoot the SD card is usually blank. Sometimes i forget the camera. Sometimes i forget bullets. Sometimes i go without powder. Once i left without rifle, but noticed within 3 block.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

This morning it was 47* here after dawn, and there was zero breeze. A trip to the hills became a necessity. Shot 5 shots into the same target that was punched yesterday from 200 yard. The holes dyed green were made yesterday.

Then i decided to see if i could shoot somewhere around 250 yard, which i consider the maximum range when shooting 300g bullet from a muzzle loader not using smokeless powder. A box i had with, was filled with water, and i walked away heading out to shoot the rifle, however the box blew over, and all the water went away. Then the jug was refilled with water from a spring fed tank, and it was set out to be the target, instead of the box. The range ended up being 256 yard. The elevation dial was turned up 9 1/2 moa.

At the shot, i was able to see the bullet hit the jug, and that was cool.

THE VIDEO
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

that is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Dominant Buck

It really is... making a splash is so cool. When we were young we used to take a stump. Take a can of soda pop and shake the devil out of it. Then set that on the stump. Then balance a chunk of firewood on top of the soda pop can. Then we'd back off and shoot that soda can with a 30-06. The can would of course explode and the trick was to set the chunk of wood on top of the stump without it falling over.

I will have to get brave and set out the camera on video and see if I can make a movie of a box. I have a program called Picasa3 that will let you adjust the part of the video you want, splice out the other and then just save the part you want as a wav file I believe it is.